What wine should I buy to age for a 2014 baby?

My grandson was born in 2014. All this talk about excess buying and wine budgets and consumption rates leads me to the conclusion that I should buy some good 2014 wine for him and if I am still around in 19 years, I can share it with him. If not, oh well, he can have something to remember me by. I stopped buying young age worthy wines a while ago, so I have no ideas on 2014. Anyone have any opinions? What a dumb question - asking Wineberserkers if they have opinions.

Chablis had a good vintage for 2014, and could be a good buy when (if it already hasn’t) the Burgundy price craze starts creeping up on them.

White Burg may be a good option. GC Red Burgs would be great as well.

If your grandson were in my family, you would only need to hold the wines for another 14-16 years before pulling corks!

Hope you are around to pop the bottles for the 21st with your grandson. Would be a fantastic memory for him with Grandpa

Jay -

I think 2014 is a safe bet, classic quality and affordable now. Stick with the Chateaux that you know can easily glide for 20+ years:

Montrose
Leoville Barton
Pichon Baron
Pichon Lalande
Langoa Barton
Beychevelle
Grand Puy Lacoste
Rauzan Segla
Haut Bailly
Conseillante (tossed in for your palate)
Vieux Chateau Certan
Canon

A mixed case would be killer!

And just in case this kid has more taste than you, 2014 was excellent in Chinon/Saumur! Grab some Baudry Clos de Boissee, and when it comes out, Rougeard.

Drive to Canada and pop a bottle when he turns 18.

Jay, whatever you buy (will give it some thought), buy in magnum format. cheers

Great idea. A really great idea.

Hey, I’ve seen Jay drink Baudry Croix Boissee and Breton FDP/Perrieres and enjoy it.

And I’ll bet those are some good wines to stock up on in 2014 too.

One thing I’d be tempted to do is follow the theme of birth and death, sort of…

I would buy wines in styles I think are disappearing (perhaps Lopez de Heredia, as modern Riojas have all but eliminated traditional ones), perhaps Bordeaux Chateaus that are the last bastion of old style wines or which have been acquired by new-world style owners since 2014. Basically things that will be extinct by the time he is grown.

Conversely, I would also buy wines that represented new movements, exciting new producers or new regions. Being the ‘first in’ on cases of something that could be a piece of history or simply much more expensive later.

The fun, later on, would be tasting things you could not get anymore, and things that had been born at the same time as him. Sort of like a ‘time capsule’ except it’s a ‘wine capsule’ snapshot of what was happening in the (wine) world when he came into it.

Oh, and DEFINITELY ask his parents if they have any guess as to what wine they were drinking the night he was conceived. If they remember when it ‘probably happened’ you could get a case of the wine that was responsible for his birth! (I guess it would be a wine from 2007-2011 vintages)

I sorta like Barry’s idea, too, with a little twist: Buying a few gifted, iconic winemakers that are on top but clearly will be retiring soon (or definitely well within that 20 years): Allemand, Levet, Jamet (?)

And PS. Does anyone else agree that Barry clearly out-kicked his coverage!? Check his avatar. :wink:

I’ll take BOTH of those as compliments, whether they completely are or not. LOL.

Just don’t ask for pictures.

lol

Monfortino! Thought it may not be ready to drink in 19 years…

My grandson was born in 2014. I’ll eventually buy Champagne for him.

Why would I ever want to ruin his future with that kind of stuff. His father favors SQN whites and his mother enjoys adult red wines. We served SQN, Saxum, Schrader, Dom Perignon and Pol Roger Churchill for the wedding, so the kid has a good pedigree.

I was going to say a magnum of Chablis Les Clos - maybe Dauvissat or Raveneau.

I couldn’t see any magnums on free Wine Searcher, but if they exist, then extrapolating from 750ml prices on free Wine Searcher, you’d probably be looking at about $750 for a Dauvissat, and the better part of $2000 for a Raveneau.

Wow.

It ain’t the 1990s anymore.

That’s for sure.

I’d wait til he’s older. Babies shouldn’t drink.

Second Alf’s suggestions, based on the 2014 Bordeaux I’ve tried. Pichon Baron for sure (a wine you’d like as well); haven’t had Montrose but it is bound to be outstanding. Then I’d go for La Mission or even Haut Brion. 14 Chablis is outstanding but aging that long is a question mark these days.