TN: 98 Dom. de la Cote de l'Ange [CNDP]

98 Dom. de la Cote de l’Ange [Chateauneuf du Pape] 13.5% abv. not owned from release, but bottle looks pristine. Popped and poured with some super crispy chicken thighs in a ginger peach sauce. I’ve been loving the 98 So. Rhones since release, and this was another nice one, although past its prime. Medium bodied, has lightened up on the edges. Fruit has faded a bit. Fennel and cinnamon on the nose. Light sedimentation. It’s a good not great wine, but ~ 20 years is a long lifeline, and 1998 was exceptional. Not many of this year left. No tannin nor sharp acidity. Its not a goopy, spoofy CNDP – those who feel like the region has little to offer them might consider this if its still true to old form. It’s more restrained than the bigger CNDPs. Very solid B here, likely better younger.

I’ll also give them props for the beautiful art deco style label, although I don’t know if they use that nowadays. It’s my first experience with the estate.

I don´t know this producer very well, but what I´ve tasted (2-3 wines) was ok, mid-level CdP, in a quite traditional style ( a bit rustic), but nevertheless not very concentrated … (maybe due to the total destemming) … that might explain the “past its prime” …
Usually the best 1998 CdPs are mostly fully mature, but still on their apogee …