Stag's Leap vs Stags' Leap Wineries.

You frequent Napa visitors may already know this, but there are two Stag’s Leap wineries in Napa. One with an apostrophe s and one with an s aprostrophe. Apparently there was a 10 million dollar court battle over the name and the apostrophe is how the judge decided it. One winery won the decision in Paris, one has a cool old mansion. Both I think play off each other for tasting visits. I think it is rather odd myself.

Total headache: Stag's Leap Wine Cellars vs. Stags Leap Winery

Though one is Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars and the other is Stags’ Leap Winery.

Their commonality: whine.

Subtle ambiguity.
IMG_1505.JPG
IMG_1504.JPG

Yeah, it’s weird that they’re both similar in every way - pricing, quality (Stag’s has a little more on the high end).

I have a co-worker who is just starting to get excited about wine. He came to me to say that he had a great time with a bottle of Stags’ Leap Cabernet and he wanted to find more. Tried to explain the history - got this look: :astonished:

Eric - same thing happened to me. I just forwarded a couple articles regarding it. Now it’s easier to just say Artemis.

We always refer to them as standing stag and leaping stag. Leaping is known for Petite Sirah, standing is known for Cabernet.

I really wanted to do the tasting at the standing stag, but made the reservation at the leaping stag. Frankly I didn’t find the PS was anything special. I was a little peaved at the error of my ways. Next time we’ll go to the standing stag.
What really p’ed me off was as part of the $140 tasting for two at the leaping stag they tell you the whole story of the two and how, haha, funny it all is.

My cousins former wife had a connection to one of them. No clue which one.