TN: 1994 Edmunds St. John Mourvedre L'Enfant Terrible (USA, California)

1994 Edmunds St. John Mourvedre L’Enfant Terrible - USA, California (3/22/2017)
Library release from the winery, and essentially a perfect bottle. The fruit was still evident, all California sunshine, and it was accompanied by wave after wave of additional flavors. Leather, spice, dirt, roasted meat and herbs baking under a hot sun all swirled in and out, making each taste delicious and fascinating. I was only able to acquire one of these, but it left an impression to linger for a very long time. It was served alongside a bottle of the 1995, which was very good, but outclassed by this amazing creature.

Posted from CellarTracker

Not surprised that this was still pretty good, David. I’m beginning to think that Edmunds guy knows a thing or two about making wine. Or maybe it really is just “Blind Luck and Intuition”. [snort.gif]

We’re doing a dinner Sat night focused around the library wines I bought:
LIBRARY WINES
~ EdmundsStJohn Viognier Alban-Durell/Calif (15.3%) P&B by Intuition&BlindLuck/Berkeley 1997: $42.00
~ EdmundsStJohn LesCotesSauvages Calif RTW (14.2%; Grenache/Syrah from Mendocino/Sonoma + Mourvedre/BrandlinRanch)
P&B by EdStJ 4059 EmerySt/Emeryville 1995: $70.00
~ EdmundsStJohn LesCotesSauvages Calif RTW (14.3%; 39% Grenache/25% Syrah/31% Mourv/5% Carignan) Emeryville 1992:
$65.00
~ EdmundsStJohn LesCotesSauvages Calif RTW (13.7%; 42% Mourv/17% Grenache/17% Cinsault/16% Syrah/8% Carignan)
Emeryville 1994: $55.00
~ EdmundsStJohn Syrah Calif (14.5%) Emeryville 1996: $45.00
~ EdmundsStJohn Syrah BassettiVnyd/SLO Cnty (13.7%) Berkeley 2001: $90.00

Tom

Nice selection. I stuck to Mourvèdre and Côtes Sauvages with my case.

Sometimes thirsty pagans with big ideas know what they’re doing.

Man I love these notes on the older ESJs.
This sounds awesome David.
Have never tired this one and wishing I had.
Thanks for the note.

I had never tried it before this bottle. So glad to have the chance!

Sounds wonderful David, this is one ESJ I have not had. Feeling very jealous about now :slight_smile:.

I popped one of these last night at dinner with a few friends. Holy SH&*^!

This was served blind with some very good tasters and there were calls ranging from old Rayas, to older GC Burgs from warmer vintages, a passing comment about 80’s early 90’s Tempier Miguoa was closest to the zone.

So much life, beautiful fruit, incredible texture- Pure, soulful, slightly wild, with every sip delightful and surprising.

[worship.gif] [worship.gif] [worship.gif]

Where did the fruit come from for the '94? I’m curious.

Thanks for the tasting note, David!!!

I was strongly tempted to buy a bottle of Edmunds St John “L’Enfant Terrible” Mourvedre from the same cellar offering, but my internet “research” led me to believe that this was produced as a wine for early consumption.

Foolish self!!!

I can count on one hand the number of domestic wines that I taste in a year, but I would be all in on these. I bet that they are great. Thanks for the note, David.

Can’t recall but I believe the vines that made this wine have since been ripped out.

anyone know if Steve still has some?

Pretty sure it’s all gone. It was doled out with an eye dropper.

Steve might have a few for himself.

I’ve got a bottle purchased years ago from an unknown source. I guess it is time to pop it.