TN: 2015 Birichino Chenin Blanc, Jurassic Park Vineyard

Saw this at the local wine shop and was excited to try it, as I love me some Chenin Blanc, and it was a producer that I wasn’t familiar with. Unfortunately…the wine was pretty terrible.

Nonexistent on the nose, save for some very faint rotten, citrusy type thing. On the palate it was even worse. Very bland, and the flavors that did show up were incredibly astringent, with muddled lemon drenched in sour vinegar. Maybe a slight whisper of honey at the end…but I’m REALLY stretching there. Not flawed…just not good. Couldn’t even finish a glass.

Oh well. They can’t all be aces. Poured a glass of Huet Clos Du Bourg demi-sec to make up for it. All is right in the world again :slight_smile:
20170321_181946.jpg

Hey Rich, sorry to hear about your chenin tasting. I also have not heard of this producer. What I can tell you is that if you are looking for some awesome chenin blanc from the Jurassic Park Vineyard seek out the Leo Steen Chenin Blanc. He is the king of chenin in Ca and I like other chenin producers such as Sandlands but what Leo does with this vineyard is special.

The 2014 is the current vintage which is excellent but you may get lucky and find some 2012 around, if you do don’t hesitate!

He also makes a Dry Creek chenin from Saini Vineyard which is very good and at a lower price point.

Thanks for the note, Rich!!

I think that it’s a bold move these days to post an unfavorable TN on a wine. I appreciate your honest report.

I think that there are a few wineries working with the “Jurassic Park Vineyard” fruit, but my guess is that you are pursuing a great Chenin Blanc, regardless of the source. :slight_smile:

Nice Tom, I really appreciate that feedback man! I was literally just wondering if there’s any good chenin coming out of the Jurassic Park Vineyard (as I haven’t had any), so I’ll start looking for something from Leo Steen.

Have yet to top Sandlands for CA chenin, so if you feel like this is better, consider me in!

That Vineyard is part of the Firestone Vineyard in Los Olivos, for those who were wondering . . .

Lo-Fi is another CA producer which makes a very good Chenin Blanc. Worth seeking out.

Yea, if you like chenin (like I do) give the Leo Steen a try. Leo told me recently that the very rocky soil at Jurassic is ideal for chenin. The Steen Jurassic is under $30.00 and the Steen Dry Creek Saini is under $20.00.

Good stuff fellas - appreciate the recos!

Hey Richard,
I have had that wine before. Birichino is one of our custom crush clients. Their wines are very good, and while somewhat unknown outside of NY and California stateside, they do very well in very erudite markets abroad. That sounds like an off bottle, likely heat damaged. If you PM me your shipping address, I’m sure they’ll replace it. I can guarantee you that there’s nothing leaving the winery door remotely resembling what you described in your tasting note. I’m sorry a damaged bottle was your first interaction with their wines.
Other US Chenin producers worth checking out are Haarmeyer and Chalone. The 13 Chalone heritage vines is pretty epic.
Best,
Ian

I appreciate the note Ian. I have zero experience with this producer and I have no doubt they make some great wines. This one didn’t strike me as flawed (definitely not corked per the screwcap)…but I’ll take your word for it, as you’re obviously more familiar with them than I am.

I appreciate the offer about the replacement but it’s totally unnecessary. I’ll be sure to give their wines another try when if i come across them again.

Hey Rich, I don’t want to speak for Ian here, but as a fellow winemaker one of the fears that I think many of us share is having someone try a flawed/heat-damaged/corked bottle without any context at all. They have a crummy experience, write the wine off as “bad”, maybe drop a negative tasting note or two, and we as the winemakers are kind of stuck because we have no way of making it right (and I think that most of us really do want to make it right).

My experience is a little limited, but I’ve had nothing but good bottles that’ve passed through Ian’s hands, especially his white wines. The very first thing I thought when I read your note was “heat damage”. At least give him the grace of sending you a replacement, especially if you’re going to let the original tn stand.

Gentlemen,

I definitely understand your perspective on the risks winemakers face when the “there are only great bottles” reality bites you in the bottom.

Rich, I have had a handful of bad bottles arrive at my doorstep, despite weather-holds, ice packs, etc. A lot of stuff can happen between Point A and Point B (especially when the trip is ~1,000 miles!).

I am always happy to hear from the winery when I believe that I received a foul bottle. It’s a sign of good customer service, and certainly speaks to the sense of pride in one’s work. On the other hand, it’s your call.

BTW, I see that wineries using the Jurassic Park Vineyard fruit include:
Barton Family
Habit
Field Recordings
Lo-Fi
Vino V
Birichino (Bonny Doon alumni)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lowinecafe.com/2014/02/02/making-old-bones-jurassic-parks-chenin-blanc-renaissance/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-wines-of-the-week-chenin-20160810-snap-story,amp.html

Of course, I defer to Rich’s depth of knowledge on Chenin Blanc. I make no claims to expertise on the variety. :slight_smile:

Hey guys,

Fair enough, and I appreciate the great customer service and the desire for the wines to show their best. I’ll shoot Ian a PM and will happily give the wine another whirl, as it sounds like the it should have shown much better than it did.

Thanks all.

This wine sure does not taste like anything I have encountered from Calif. so think damaged too. I am a big Loire fan but also quite experienced in S Africa which is a go-to region for me.

i’ll just add that Birichino is best known-I think-for their very enjoyable grenache which sells for approx $20 making it a great QPR. The grenache is pure-fruited and on the lighter side of the spectrum but hardly weak. It is a bit straight ahead with no layers/turns/side-notes but easy to drink by itself or with food. Chambers in NYC carries the grenache which says something. I am not able to check my remaining bottles at the moment, but I believe this is under screwcap. Of course, that has nothing to do with heat damage.

I agree with Ian and Mitch. Contact the winery. Their Grenache is very nice and they are great winemakers as well as nice folks. John, one of the winemakers, used to work at Soif wine bar in Santa Cruz. He really knows his wine.

Per your initial note Ian, I sent you a PM with my address. Are you suggesting there’s someone else I need to reach out to?

Two different Ians, dude. neener

Ha! Sorry Ian Alper…unless you have any extra bottles of Birichino Chenin laying around that you want to send me :slight_smile:

I agree with this, I’ve only had their Malvasia but I thought it was excellent, very fresh and the perfect glass of wine before dinner. Don’t write them off.