A Pair of Giacosa Riondas - 67 and 85

A couple of data points from one of the great vineyards of Piedmont (if not the world)

1967 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Collina Rionda di Serralunga Riserva Speciale - this is the spiritual soul brother of the 78 and 89 Rionda. The ONLY mature Giacosa Collina Rionda Riserva around, and a really special wine. First off, there is not one note on CT. AG has one note, but it seems from the note, that it was not a perfectly sound bottle. This was decanted off the dregs and smelled great from the start. I gave it two hours in the decanter before pouring back. The nose was darker, more haunting and ethereal, rather than some of the sweetness you would typically expect from Giacosa. Had a brininess to it that I adore in aged Nebbiolo. Where the true connection comes to the 78 and 89 is the finish. Incredible, still some mild traces of tannin and a finish for over a minute. Absolutely great. I included a picture of the top of the cork so you could see that it was in great shape. Wow!
rionda672.jpg
rionda671.jpg
1985 Bruno Giacosa Collina Rionda di Serralunga - baby brother. This was also decanted off the sediment, but this one shined after a much longer decant. Don’t get me wrong, I knew this was sound the minute I smelled it, but it was clearly at its peak after 7-8 hours. Definitely at the top of the white label list. Outstanding red fruit, great sweet tannins. Very good wine.
rionda85.jpg