Eating in burgundy on a Sunday night

I will be in Burgundy in a couple of weeks for a set of visits to Roumier, Bachelet, Mugneret-Gibourg et Pataille. Needless to say, I am very much looking forward to this!

We’re staying over on Sunday and need a place to have dinner. Ma cuisine is closed on Sundays, sadly. What would people recommend? A good wine list is obviously a real plus…

Thanks in advance!
-t

Bit of a desert for Sunday night dining. I did check and the Bistro de l’Hotel is closed too. My usual strategy would be to get some food wherever’s open and then head to Boute du Monde for some good bottles.

http://www.aupresduclocher.com/Acces.html

This is one of the best open on Sunday.
In Pommard. You don’t have to worry about searching out good bottles from elsewhere.

Levernois as well.

We enjoyed eating at Le Cheval Noir. They are closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays - I believe they are open Sundays.
Tripadvisor (if you are into that type of thing) rates them as the #9 restaurant in Beaune. I don’t remember much about their wine list - you may want to contact them to find out. http://www.restaurant-lechevalnoir.fr

I had this problem already.

There is a restaurant in the middle of Vougeot, near a small pond:
Le Clos de la Vouge (middle class)

Also in Gevrey try “Chez Guy”

Also “Le Chambolle” in Chambolle-Musigny, would be my preference, a bit hidden on the Northern side of the village, nice family restaurant.

In Morey-St-Denis “Tres Girard” - expensive (overpriced?)

In any case check in advance and make a reservation …!

+1

This is one of my favorite restaurants in the world. If the weather is nice, having an aperitif on the terrace is the best way to start a meal there. Excellent wine list with lower prices than restaurants of comparable quality.

Bissoh is a good option.

Thanks to all!! Will try auprès du clocher…

End of a hard workday here and I was hoping to read you describing your dinner in Burgundy last Sunday so I could vicariously escape through you for a few minutes. lol.

Glad you have a trip to look forward to though! Cheers!

We had a great meal at Aupres du Clocher in December on a Sunday…

Maison Colombier is great, but more of a gastro bar/ charcuterie/pate small plate kind of place. Very reasonably priced wine list and delicious food. Closed Sunday, ( just checked ) but a really great place to hang out for a few hours and nibble on good food.

^^
This. We stopped here at least 3 times when in Beaune. We sat and watch the Beaune trail of Light projections onto the church across the street. SO really liked the small plates with truffles on them. Fabulous.

Glad you had a very nice Sunday dinner in Burgundy, Jerry. [cheers.gif]

The Epoisses mousse there is to die for.

Yes - possibly literally. That dish is both delicious and in need of its own health warning sticker

Thanks to all who suggested aupres du clocher. Had a great meal there on Sunday night. Food was very good, though not on the light side and the wine list was full of gems. We ended up going for a fabulous 2006 Dujac Echezeaux. Ethereal, haunting perfume of red fruits, cherries and spices. So elegant. Gained weight and length as the evening went by. Hitting its early peak.

The next day we visited Bachelet, Roumier, Mugneret Gibourg and Pataille to taste through the 2015s. Don’t have the time to write a lengthy write up but a few highlights:

Bachelet: hit a homerun in 2015. Got upset when we mentioned 2015 weather and its potential impact on acidities (or lack thereof). Emphasised that his vines went through hydric stress in the summer so wines actually didn’t ripen as much as one could think. His son is now very involved in the domaine and has himself had a son so Denis feels that Domaine’s future is secure. He also mentioned how much eastern interest he was getting those days, with visit after visit from HK, Thailand, China, Russia,… I thought that the 2015 Charmes and Cote de Nuits in particular were both tremendous successes. He mentioned he had barrel issues with the 2010/2011 vintages which may have had an impact on his wines and led him to change barrel supplier.

Roumier: Harvested actually pretty late (11th September 2015) as he felt tannins of his grapes weren’t ripe enough before that. He’s produced fantastic 2015s. I thought that the Ruchottes is really very good this year (better than other vintages) and the other wines were predictably stunning, with the exception of the Chambolle that felt very grumpy on that day. He’s recently picked up 0,5ha of Bonnes Mares and some Echezeaux in metayage, which is really good news.

Mugneret Gibourg: how nice and interesting the sisters are. They took the opposite approach to Roumier and harvested very early (1st Sept). Glorious wines. The Vougeot did best, showing more spice and class than Ruchottes (more power there). Marie-Andree felt that Vougeot was under appreciated as a terroir, which is hard to argue with. Discussion got a bit emotional when we talked about Philippe Engel’s vougeots, which she absolutely loves. Recently picked up 4ha of vines that were previously in metayage, including some Echezeaux and Vosne Romanee. Net addition is 2ha as the domaine was previously getting 50% of the grapes from those.

Sylvain Pataille. What a character. 2 hours tasting session was part motivational speaking, part stand up comedy, part history lesson, part oenology class and part wine tasting. Went through 22 separate cuvees. Anyone who complains about the price of burgundy should try those: they’re wines of character, place and passion yet most of the cuvées cost sub €20 ex-domaine. His lieux dits aligotés in particular are well worth seeking out, as are his reds (in particular Clos du Roy and Le Chapitre). Based in Chenove, which feels like frontier burgundy in many ways: it’s the end of the cote, where vineyards face the suburbs of Dijon and it’s also where young, ambitious winemakers can afford to buy land and start on a blank sheet of paper in terms of winemaking. Sylvain is, in my book, the most charismatic, dynamic and interesting young winemaker in Burgundy today…

Just to be clear re: Mugnerets…they are talking about “Clos de Vougeot” with both theirs and Engel’s. There is 1er and villages “Vougeot” , but neither estate has any.

CdV, IMO, can produce great wines, and the Mugnerets do, though their holding is at the bottom of the hill and is, therefore, thought to be inferior. But, their vines are quite old and…

Good to see they are getting some grapes back. Who were their metayeurs; do you know?

And, great to see Christophe Roumier with more to work with!! Are both new parcels in metayage? or did they buy one of them?

Yes, we’re talking about Clos Vougeot. They mentioned that their holding was on top of the vineyard, nearby musigny - are you sure their holdings are down below?

Re: Mugneret Gibourg taking back metayage vines: it’s Fabrice Vigot and someone else I forgot about.
Re: Roumier: it’s all metayage.

You are right about their CdV.

I confused their holding with Jean Grivot’s…