TN : 1999 La Lagune, Ludon

The weather forecast predicts 15cm(6 inches) of slush-storm within a few hours, here in Copenhagen. [swearing.gif]
But I don’t care! -Food in the kitchen, -the dog has been out exercising, -and I found a nice surprise Bordeaux in the cellar! -Time to cocoon!
I normally keep perfect inventory of the cellar, but this one escaped the list. I do remember breaking a 1999 Lagune many years ago, still enjoying the big stain on the cellar floor. Apparently, I had an extra ?! (Free wine.)

The 1999 Bordeaux vintage was the first barrel tasting I ever attended. 41 top chateaux presented their barrel-samples, and a similar styled aged wine also. I spat it all, but taking 82 sips, with a little left to swallow each time, makes one a merry fellow. [basic-smile.gif]
La Lagune has for Me a special flower like perfume (Somewhat like Figeac, and Beychevelle, with their special telltale aromas). I noted this Lagune flower-aroma then, in the little book, and today I tasted it again, 16 years later.
1999 La Lagune.jpg
Perfect fill, firm cork, light garnet red.
Big nose of the filled chocolate called “Plum in Madeira”. Sweet tobacco and dark berry marmalade.
Taste is ripe red currants, mulberry, good acid, tiny oak vanilla, tannins not in the way at all. The sweet smell, does not follow up in the taste, Thank You!
Nice dried fruits and spices in the longer than expected aftertaste.

I like well aged Bordeaux, and this is perfect for Me. This is IMO not getting better or more complex. Drink up, and enjoy this underpriced aromatic wine, before it’s too late.
[cheers.gif]
-Søren.

Great note Soren. I’m a fan of La Lagune, and 99 can be a tempting vintage off restaurant lists or in your cellar if priced appropriately.

Cheers,

La Lagune is one of those wines that can really surprise. You think you got it pegged, it makes very nice Bordeaux, good drinking, often unremarkable. Then you try the 1982, or the '78, or the brilliant 2010, and you realize that this is a property capable of making wines several levels higher than you originally thought.

And then there are the middling vintages like '99. I tried a bottle recently from a retailer who had it on sale. I thought it was really good for the vintage, and as it was under $30, I went back for the remaining bottles. Somebody else had the same idea, tried the wine, and came back and bought the remaining bottles.

There was a time when I was a little more crass, and opened bottles in the parking lot (it was forbidden under state law to open it in the store) and decided whether I wanted more. This is one case where I wish I was a little more crass.

Another fan of Lagune here. Indeed, the 78 and 82 are terrific wines.

Interesting to hear you approve of the 2010, Mark-- I have wondered if there was a shift to modern techniques with Parker’s big jump in scores starting with the 2005 vintage.

looking forward to trying the 82 Lagune soon

I liked the 2010 a lot more than 2009, and I think it will be a good wine for the long term. La Lagune is inching towards a slightly more ripe style, but as yet, I have not yet felt that it had reached a point where it was a problem. Bought some magnums, which I hope my son will enjoy thirty years from now.

Good to know, Mark. Our palates align well for Bordeaux, so I’ll look for some (it seems to be $60 at regular retail these days).

I count myself as a fan of La Lagune. I find the wines pretty variable from vintage to vintage, however, as we saw when we visited the estate in 2015 and tried several vintages back to 1981 (which was fantastic).

I tried the 2004 last night. Popped and poured, it had a nice attack with, classy lean tensile, mid-bodied palate. Then after an hour it clenched up and shut down. It is a wine that needs time to come round.

Pat, the Prieure Lichine was also very good in 2010

I never knew/noticed the embossing on the bottom of the bottle. Cool!

I had the 1995 ten years ago, and it was not nice. Tough, weak fruit, rusty light color, and hi-acid. One left in cellar…
Maybe a -bad bottle, -bad timing, or -bad vintage ?

Then I prefer the 1999 instead.
1999 Lagune cork.jpg
-Søren.