Some of yours and some of mine (TNs: Beaucastel, Janasse, Huet, Shafer, Ridge, Cavallotto, etc)

It has been a really long time since I have posted anything so I thought it would be a good opportunity to post some brief notes on a bunch of wines from the long President’s Day weekend.

It was my Dad’s birthday, so we all shared a lot wine over the course of the weekend. What made things interesting is that my Dad’s wine style is quite different from mine (with some overlap here and there). Where he is drawn to big Napa Cabs and butter bomb chards, I find my pleasure in more old world style wines. Neither is good or bad, just different.

What I learned throughout the weekend is that with an open mind, the right company, and the right atmosphere, some wines can surprise you. At the same time, sometimes there is no shaking preferences.

To add a little color, I have included “yours” to denote wines opened by my Dad, and “mine” for wines I brought. Hopefully there is something for everyone.

(Warning - all wines were very young and thus there was a lot of baby killing going on. Sorry)

2014 Shafer Big Shoulder Ranch Chardonnay (Yours)

I was 100% ready to hate this. My parents have a habit of finding the biggest, fattest, most buttery chards on the planet. While definitely rich, this wine had a lot to like. The first thing I noticed was a distinctive flintyness I usually associate with Chablis. There was also very nice lemon and lime zest on the palate. Had a second bottle later in the weekend which was consistent.

2015 Huet Le Mont Sec (Mine)

I warned you that the wines were all very young. This was the one wine of the weekend that I felt had no business being open. I bought a couple of these so I didn’t think there was any harm in trying one. I was wrong. Incredibly closed. All I could discern was searing acidity. After giving it as much air as I could in the glass, I could coax out a little of that woolyness, but that is it. Don’t open for years.

2012 Chateau de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape (Mine)

This was stellar. When Beaucastel is on, its really on. Rustic without being feral. Lush with out being sweet or extracted. There was such complexity in the earthy, gamey, and floral notes. There was plenty of bright red fruit and acidity to temper the rich chocolate and bacon notes. Probably my favorite of the weekend.

2014 Ridge Geyserville (Mine)

I picked this up for like $25 at a local store. Insane price. Geyserville is delicious every year, and 2014 is not exception. Obviously will last many years, but I did not feel guilty drinking it now.

2013 Shafer Relentless (Yours)

Another Shafer I expected to hate. Honestly, I really, really enjoyed this. I went in with an open mind expecting a huge hedonistic wine, which is exactly what I got. Hugely massive (yes, hugely massive is the only proper descriptor) black and blue fruit with tons of meat. Not a style I would generally seek out, but I must admit to liking this in the moment (late night by the outdoor fire pit).

2014 (?) Nickel and Nickel Truchard Vineyard Chardonnay (Yours)

Too much of everything. Over the top. Not a fan.

2011 Domaine de la Janasse Châteauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes (Yours)

I have been willingly assisting my Dad in drinking a half case of this over the past few years. Have really enjoyed this in the past. The alcohol really was stuck out to me this time. I will point out that I had a small glass while eating a grilled lobster and french fries. Basically the opposite of what you want to do with wine pairings, but there was a lot of wine being passed around and I wanted to try this.

2012 Cavallotto Barolo Bricco Boschis (Mine)

Baby killing once again. But this was oh so good. Probably my number two wine of the weekend behind the Beaucastel. Already a ton of complexity with typical Barolo notes of leather, violets, and smoke.

2013 Shafer One Point Five (Yours)

Have you caught on to the fact that my Dad was in the mood to pop some Shafer this weekend? Very generous of him, however I did not quite enjoy this one as much as the others. Decent Napa Cab, but overpriced for whats being offered.

2003 Château Rieussec (Mine)

Well aged, but not fully mature in my opinion. Showed a fairly deep golden color which seemed consistent with its age. Rich without being cloying. Very balanced with great acidity. Honey, ginger, stone fruit. This was from 375 and literally disappeared in 5 minutes in a group of people who “don’t drink sweet wine”. I would definitely buy this again.

1989 Château Suduiraut (Yours)

The only fully mature wine of the weekend. I couldn’t decide if this had a weird old oakiness to it or if it was corked. Seemed over the hill and was very dark in color. Would have expected much more life given the producer. Who knows. I’ll reserve judgment.

Was going to say, your dad likes him some shafer :smiley: