TN: Harrington Mourv SumuKawVnyd '15...(short/boring)

Tried this Fri night w/ Fabrizio:

1. Harrington Mourvedre SumuKawVnyd/ElDoradoCnty (12.9%; 47 cs) 2015: Med.color; very strong plummy/Mourv rather earthy/loamy some ElDorado/earthy/mushroomy light toasty/oak fairly rich/lush nose; lightly tart very strong plummy/Mourv quite loamy/earthy/dusty/ElDorado slightly rustic flavor w/ light rough tannins; very long earthy/loamy/dusty strong plummy/Mourv/blueberry light toasty/oak fairly structured bit rustic finish w/ modest rough tannins; not so much like ContraCosta Mataro because of the structure but more like the old EdmundsStJohn BrandlinRanch Mourvs; as Steve says…“the earth speaks”; quite an excellent Mourv. $30.00

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. The SumuKaw vnyd is owned by HankBeckmeyer of LaClarineFarms. I should make more of an effort to track his wines. There was a nicely done article in the latest Wine&Spirits magazine on the glories of ElDorado/SierraFoothills Mourv.
    Tom

Nice note Tom…I agree this is an excellent wine.

Sumu Kaw is owned by David & Sheila Bush, not Hank Beckmeyer (unless there’s been a very recent change). David/Sheila planted the first vines in 1994.

Yup…brain fart in LosAlamos this morning, Eric.
Tom

Hank does make some great Sumu Kaw wines as well!

Thanks for the note, Tom. That was one of my favorite of the 2015 Harrington wines. We picked up the fruit from the David & Sheila at the vineyard the same morning as Hank & Caro from La Clarine - we all talked for awhile there. The 2015 Harrington was 50% whole-cluster as I recall, and the 2016 will be 100% whole cluster - that seems to work nicely with the Mourvèdre from Sumu Kaw. I made a non-commercial Gang of Six Sumu Kaw Mourvèdre in 2015 too - that one was 100% whole-cluster, native ferment.

Agree with Eric that Hank does a great job with Sumu Kaw fruit - his Syrah from the vineyard is always killer, and in addition to the Mourvèdre, he works with their Nebbiolo as well.

^ Ken has followed this wine from the start.

Enjoyed this wine very much.