2005 Chevillon NSG 'Roncieres'

2005 Chevillon NSG ‘Roncieres’–Popped and poured at my wife’s birthday dinner at local restaurant, Nell’s. They maintain perhaps the nicest red Burgundy list in town. First bottle was corked. The next bottle was fine, but the wine has a typical smoky, earthy streak that on first whiff had me worried as well. But no concern–this bottle was fine. Deep saturated red color; rich, sweet, earthy red cherry on the palate, with the earthy/smoke in the back-ground adding complexity. Tannins are smooth and tame. Has an amazing amount of palate density and gras, without being heavy–unique to 2005 at least in recent memory. Certainly ready to be enjoyed, but no hurry.

(Jean Vesselle ‘Oeil de Perdrix’–friends from Walla Walla had ordered this for us as a surprise, and it was chilled and ready to go when we arrived. Beautiful light salmon color, very aromatic. Pinot noir richness on the palate while retaining a festive lightness. I’m not a huge fan of rose champagne (and I guess this is not necessarily thought of as a rose), but this is one to remember that seems to get lost in the shuffle and I keep forgetting about.)