TN: 2014 Tercero Grenache Blanc (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley)

2014 Tercero Grenache Blanc - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (2/19/2017)
Rich pear fruit with spice accents make for a substantial and fresh impression. There’s good palate depth and moderate length. I have not been much of a white Rhone/Ranger fan, but this is a wine that states a good case for its grape and Larry as a winemaker. Serve with more substantial white meat or pork dishes with flavorful preparations. There is more than enough here to work with a wide range of foods.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks! I’ve been seeing more Grenache Blanc around of late. Just had a Curran one last week at Cornell Winery in Malibu, and my local Whole Foods wine bar has it in a flight right now too. Would love to try Larry’s sometime as well.

Amazing wine. My favorite Tercero white thus far, and I’ve had many.

Thanks for the kind words, David - high praise indeed.

This is a variety that has such a bright future in my mind here in California and with consumers - it fits the perfect balance between certain white rhone varieties that you only want to drink young and others that you want to lay down for a decade or more.

These wines can contain great acidity that shows well when young - but as they age, they take on that white rhone mid palate richness turning them into something altogether different.

To me, though this 14 is in a great place now, it will only ‘improve’ for the next number of years . . . and I can’t wait to see where it goes!

Cheers

Really need to try yours, Larry, as I currently don’t feel as excited as you about this variety. I feel like Roussane is more complex, more interesting, and does very very well here. But that said, I have not tried much Cali Grenache Blanc. Not 100% anyways.