Little Wings Syrah Inaugural Vintage

A friend of mine, a berserker and WSF member, Jorge Bustamante, created a wine project with his wife in memory of their late daughter, Mikaela, who was born prematurely at 24 weeks, and who bravely fought for 11 days before passing away. Little Wings is a Single Vineyard Syrah from Antle Vineyard, farmed by Bill Brousseau with Ian Brand as winemaker (Le P’tit Paysan), who has volunteered his time to this great cause. Produced in her honor, 100% of the profits are being donated to the NICU at Holtz Children’s Hospital Miami (where she lived, very energetically, for 11 days).

You can sign up for the list and get specs on the wine here http://www.littlewingswine.com
Follow on Facebook here Redirecting...
And since Jorge is in advertising by trade it wouldn’t be complete without a little IG action below Little Wings (@littlewingswine) • Instagram photos and videos

Jorge, his lovely wife Mairi, Mikaela, and the newest addition to the family Jaxon, sincerely appreciate the support.

[thankyou.gif]

Eric,
Thanks for posting this. I don’t take on small projects, but when Jorge called me with this idea, I couldn’t not do it.
We just bottled a couple weeks ago. Jorge wanted something along the lines of Cornas or good Saint Joseph. With the caveat that we are in California, I was very happy with the results. These are older grafts onto 35 +/- root stock, at elevation with warm days and cold nights, granitic soils. Finished alc in the mid 13’s, about 50% whole cluster, no new oak. Pretty textbook.
When the labels come in, Jorge will come out and we’ll get this beauty finished up.
Ian

Glad you did this, Ian. I love a good cause and I love wine.

Nothing better than combining the two.

Cheers!

Really cool project - I signed up

I think this is a beautiful gesture and I admire those who have worked together to bring this memorial into being.

We just got back from a road trip, when I realized this was posted.

Thanks for sharing this, Eric. Things are going very well so far, we’re thrilled by the idea that this could actually be a meaningful and sustainable charity for the NICU.

Thanks to those of you who signed up, we’re running very low on inventory, but we’ll be sending offers this week and next to the most recent sign-ups.

I didn’t realize Ian even browsed these forums, so I’m thrilled to see that he posted. I always had a high opinion on Ian (and his wines), but the way he’s supported this project has just put him on a whole other pedestal.

My samples are due to be delivered today - can’t wait to open a bottle soon!

Thanks again for the support folks, really appreciate it.

Order in! Happy to support a cool project with a great cause.

Any initial tasting notes or thoughts on the finished product yet?

I’d like thank everyone on WB who signed up - we really appreciate your support. Everyone should have received an email offer this morning. If you haven’t, please PM me and I’ll take care of it.

@Eric, thanks a lot for your order. I actually just received my samples this weekend. I’m letting them rest a bit, so I’ll open one soon and report back (I swear I won’t be too biased!) :stuck_out_tongue:

It was a no brainer Jorge, happy to support you and the team at the hospital.