TN: Saturday at a local store (and a few bonus bottles).

SATURDAY AT A LOCAL STORE (AND A FEW BONUS BOTTLES). - Chuck’s Fine Wines (2/19/2017)

Yesterday was a gorgeous Saturday here on America’s North Coast. February with sun and temps at 65F. The crowds were out and about and everyone was in a good mood. Time to go to a Wine Tasting. TK poured his wares, a few extras, some bonus bottles and it was a great day.

• 2013 Cave Vinicole de Kientzheim-Kaysersberg Pinot Blanc The Furst - France, Alsace
    IIRC, this is from a Coop in Alsace. $17 Drinking quite well right now considering the age and price. Some very nice value here. Light golden in color. The nose has some pears and slight peach notes. Reasonable acidity despite a softer texture. The pears carry thru to the palate. I would drink these up sooner than late. Enjoyable. (88 pts.)
  • 2014 Herdade do Esporão Esporão Reserva Branco - Portugal, Alentejano, Alentejo
    This is very good and a great value at $17. A blend of Antão Vaz, Arinto, and Roupeiro. Light golden in color. The nose has some peach, minerals and a bit of vanilla. On the palate, this has great acidity. Very fresh wine. Good minerality with some peach fruit. Nice finish. Still drinking brightly and not showing age. Very enjoyable. (89 pts.)
  • 2012 Herdade do Esporão Esporão Reserva - Portugal, Alentejano, Alentejo
    This is a blend of Aragones, Trincadeira, Alicante Bouschet and Cabernet Sauvignon. $25. Its a very solid wine. The nose is slightly dusty with cherries and some black raspberries along with a bit of spice. On the palate, this drinks easily. Nice texture. Fruit forward, not deep, but good cherry fruit. Some tannins. Nice finish. (88 pts.)
  • 2012 Alma De Los Andes Malbec Reserva - Argentina, Mendoza
    Apparently this is a WE91. I wouldn’t go there, but for $13, there is plenty of value here. The nose has plums, charcoal, slight chocolate and asphalt. Nice enough. On the palate, it is very simple. More generic red wine. No real faults, just not a lot of stuffing. That said, it tasted good and I would have no problem drinking a glass at a wedding or BBQ. (86 pts.)
  • 2014 Thorn-Clarke Shotfire Cabernet Shiraz - Australia, South Australia, Barossa
    I have been drinking these wines for a long time. They often present great values in the market place. This seemed a bit sweeter than I remembered them being. Some people really loved it though and that’s fine. Purple in color. The nose has black raspberry fruit, some chocolate and spice. On the palate, it has nice black raspberries but turns candied on the finish. A little goes a long way. Would make a nice cocktail wine. $20 (88 pts.)
  • 2007 R Wines Chateau Chateau Leaf Turner - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley
    A blast from the past. A Grateful Palate Selection wine. This was never one of my favorites of theirs but its holding up ok. Purple in color. The nose has black cherries, some smoke and alcohol. On the palate, this has a nice texture. That said, it is a bit disjointed. Black cherries and sweet. It seems to come together on the mid palate but then finished a bit awkwardly. That is perhaps a bit too harsh, but in the right direction. There is a lot of alcohol on the wine which to me is fine, if it can handle it. This goes back and forth. I probably would drink these up sooner than later. (87 pts.)
  • 2005 Marqués del Puerto Rioja vendemia seleccionada Bentus - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja
    Ruby in color. The nose has cherries, dried cherries, dill and tobacco. On the palate, this has nice cherries. Pretty straightforward but still nice fruit. Starting i suppose to dry out some, but I would imagine it had some dried aspects on release. Nice finish. Probably still has some life left, but its not getting better I don’t think. (87 pts.)
  • NV Viñedo de los Vientos Tannat Alcyone - Uruguay, Coastal Region, Atlàntida
    Easily the best Tannat based dessert wines from Uruguay I have ever had. Dark brown in color. The nose is like a Tootsie Pop - chocolate covered with a hard candy shell, likely the chocolate flavored. On the palate, this has more of a Tootsie Roll note to it. A bit of espresso. Slightly sweet. 16% alcohol but not showing any heat. A little goes a long way. Very cool to try. (91 pts.)
  • 2013 SonkinCellars Persona - USA, California
    Disclaimer - Biased Note ahead.
    Just checking in on this. The cork was popped the night before and the wine had about 20 hours to breathe before serving. While I thought it showed well, that was not enough air. It really needs cellar time, but if serving, I would pop and let breath for a few days. Don’t worry, it will still be ripe and fresh. The crowd seemed to like it or was at least too polite not to comment if they didn’t (not always the case which is fine).
  • 2001 Domaine Jasmin Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    Damn, this one was above my expectations. Pop and pour. Ruby/purple in color. On opening, the nose is filled with brett. Think Primate Cage at the Zoo (do they still have those?). Anyway, as the bottle stink blew off, it was left with just a nice barnyard. If you have issue with Brett, it might be too much. I love it. There is also a raspberry note and spice. On the palate, this drinks quite clean. Black cherries and black raspberries with spice and minerals. Really bright acidity that is keeping the fruit fresh. Tannins seem resolved but there is some grip here. A nice level of complexity remains. I think this is pretty much at peak right now. Its nice when that works out that way. $36 on release seems like a good investment. (92 pts.)

Always nice to see old friends and meet new wine lovers.
Posted from CellarTracker