Montecucco Sangiovese.

Was downtown last night helping out at a d`Arenberg tasting and was looking around the shelves. Came across a sangiovese with the appellation Montecucco. I was intrigued so did some research and found this.

http://www.campinuovi.com/2013/03/decanter-discovers-montecucco/

Has anyone come across anything of interest?

Yes. I had their plain Sangiovese 2009, which was praised by Walter Speller, particularly for its freshness in that warm vintage. I enjoyed it a lot and agreed with what Walter Speller had written about it. I have also bought and tried a bottle each of their Riserva in 2009 and 2010, but found both of them on the heavy side. Perhaps they need years to shed their baby fat, and I am hopeful that they will improve with time, but I don’t know.

You may have read that they worked with Gianfranco Soldera, and have otherwise excellent credentials as Sangiovese producers. I have exchanged a few emails with Daniele Rosellini and got the impression of a very serious, passionate and competent winemaker. Their Sangiovese 2009 was one of the highest QPR I ever came across.

Gilberto. I think we are talking about a region here not a brand.

David,
the link is to the website is of a specific winery, the one I was referring to. I understood Bob meant this specific winery, but perhaps I misunderstood? Anyway, the Decanter article is quite detailed on the Montecucco region.
Certainly it isn’t well known yet and if you like Sangiovese and find good producers, you can get a fantastic QPR.

I was basically asking about the region/appellation. I will crack the 2012 Basile Cartacanta this evening so stay tuned forumites.