TNs--FALLTACULAR 2017

No indeed–not rain nor wind nor rain was going to keep us down. With very sincere and heartfelt regret for the many travelers who had to cancel or who were trapped mid-transit and couldn’t make it, the rest of us soldiered on and this was once again a unique and absolutely memorable event. My big virtual hugs get added to the real ones for Frank and Jill and their amazingness in always welcoming so many of us into their home for this. Despite the weather, we were blessed in having almost all the committed winemakers make their way down to join us. Especial thanks have to go to Brian Loring (wish I’d had more time to catch up, hermano) who has supported this event from pretty much day 1. Those I personally know made it, being John Lockwood, Jamie Kutch, Larry Schaffer, Joe Webb, Darren Delmore, Rachel Silkowski, Steve Nordhoff, Ashley Buehler, Marc and Dominique Simon, Kurt Beitler, Ryan Zepaltas, Phil Kaplan and Eric Lundblad, many many thanks. Especially good to see good friends Brian, Larry and Jamie—and I should note that Jamie got there early and threw himself right into help mode in setting up the whites room.

OK, enough blathering. I again did much too much talking [grin.gif] and so am only posting on 47 wines. I will count on everyone else to fill out the roster, but this is always so difficult for me—I wanted to and did try some new producers, but tasted only 1 Sandler, 1 Sojourn, no Big Basin—all wines I like. You get the picture.

2013 Kendric Marin Pinot Noir

Although it seems an odd place to start, this and the next (at the time) had only 1 bottle available for pouring. Spices mix with ripe red fruit–cranberry and plum—on the bouquet. Drive with plenty of acidity–sharp almost lemon counterpoint to raspberry.

2014 Rasi 3 Barrel Pinot Noir

Light overlay of herbs brace red fruit and some potpourri scents. That profile stays with you on the tongue and there’s good use of oak, gives some frame to the berry and sweet currant.

2014 Carlisle Derivative

Quiet, almost silvery aromas with pear and gingerbread taking parts. Rather a saline side to hard-to-find fruit. Almost an aniseed backhit. I do need and want to see more fruit

2014 Alma Fria Holtermann Pinot Noir

Higher-toned bing cherry here in the bouquet. Palate is opposite—lean and quite racy with raspberry and unripe bilberry.

2014 Rivers-Marie Occidental Ridge Pinot Noir

Cinnamon heart on top of strawberry coulee. Zippy and energetic with earth tones to sharp raspberry and strawberry. #10 and very good.

2014 Riverain Cabernet

Cherry ,coffee roast, dark plum–the fruit is from the Tench vineyard. Ah me—this is Yum-mY! Great balance and energy with pure and focused blueberry and black cherry fruit. Rocking and delicious. #2

2014 Sojourn Georges III Cab

(I of course had wanted to taste the pinots too, but they were all gone by the time I got around to them). This is more closed–oaky and a lot of black fruit. More robust than usual—has richness but its unready right now. Give time to knit together.

2012 Edward Lane Georges III Cab

Sam Sheehan made the wine. Red and black fruit are in equal display in the nuzzie. Palate is juicy and surface-full, but no readl depth for me, it doesn’t reach an extra gear or level that I’d want from this vineyard.

2013 Calluna Estate Calluna vineyards

A Bordeaux blend, plenty of earth, forest some kerosene, lots of chocolatey blackberry. Le gout, I see why Marshall wanted me to try it. Very classical lines to this wine, dark fruit and acid carries the day and the frame. Good stuff, #9

2014 Calluna Estate C.V.C.

Another Bordeaux blend, it has some Bordeaux characteristics with the herbs, spices and currant in the nose. Some dill is there. Strong stuff, very nice currant and berry with spicy back-end.

2014 Liquid Farm Four Chard

Candied lemon and gingerale backbone. This is very fine indeed, has presence and panache at the same time Replays with added citrus and pear.

2015 Liquid Farm White Hill Chard

Even more gingery with pear and apple. Back to what I like with them on the palate, lean and crisp and racy with apple and some grapefruit, even. Like!

2014 Liquid Farm Golden Slope Chard

Honey and honeycomb, poached pear and some nectarine. This is just as good or better, bursting with orange peel, peach and sunshine and a backend of fig. Very complete and compelling, #7

2015 Kutch Sonoma Coast Chard

tightly wound but alluring ,some hints at tropical fruit around apple and citrus. What an interesting wine! Has tremendous crisp juiciness–like biting into a fresh orange–but so different from the Santa Cruz. I would definitely want to order some of this too. #6

2014 Ladd Cellars Sonoma Coast Chard

Smoky on this, but pleasantly lightly so, with white fruit. Tasty and with some grip–California sunshine, with orange and baked apple notes. It’s of itself.

2014 Rhys Bearwallow Pinot Noir

cocoa-mocha with panoply of berry fruit abd apple skin as well—lots going on. Le gout is still on the rugged side, with raspberry and cranberry in the forefront. Plenty of AV earth and more cocoa with some coffee. Requisite complexity but needs 3 years.

2014 Rasi Mourvedre

essence of blackberry and dark chocolate…DARK. Very nice on palate, tons of fruit and substance here, the finish goes on for a long time. Memorable #8

2014 Enfield Wine Company Haynes vineyard Syrah

Meaty and raspberry and blueberry vie with some cumin here. Napa Syrah, but could fool me. Quite cool and snappy wih raspberry and meat. A nice little surprise. #13

OK, falling asleep again, but I will update the OP in the morning.

Right. On we go.

2014 Carlisle Two Acres

Big bouquet with macerated plums and cherries, I also get some smoked bacon. Lush and ripe with blueberry, prune and plum, but on the thicker and supercharged side for me with this cuvee which I’ve enjoyed in the past.

2015 Rivers-Marie Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir

Dusty nose, cocoa and currant also weaved in. A nice roundness dans la bouche, and a nice “readiness” to this, goo red fruit core and bites of baking spices on the outside. Well done.

2015 Kutch Falstaff Pinot Noir

Fine strawberry and cola scents, well balanced. Brambly and tasty right now, red berry and earth at the back, but pretty kinetic for now, needs more time.

2015 Kutch Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir

Still tight aromatically with earth, currant and raspberry in the mix. This one may need a little time too, but it’s lighter and tangy with lot of red berry and crabapple.

2015 Kutch McDougall Pinot Noir

Good dollops of cocoa and earth waft up the glass, followed by medley of red and black cherry and some strawberry undertone. Jamie’s right here about thinking of comparisons to the 12–a ton of presence and promise of juicy ripeness, yet still with structure and play. A wine of distinction to-be. #11

2014 Witch’s Hand Shillelagh Pinot Noir

Forceful on nose and in mouth, this was pretty turbocharged for me, with a lot of sugared cherry.

2015 Sandler Keefer Ranch Pinot Noir

Such are the difficulties of choosing that I only got to one of Ed’s wines today, but I picked a good 'un. The aromas are airy and light with red berry fruit and just twinges of dark cocoa for extra interest. To taste, this is very curvy and shapely with a lovely, lively expression of the purity of Keefer strawberry-driven fruit. A true pleasure. #5

2013 Ladd Cellars Cuvee Abigail Pinot Noir

Lots of cherry varieties, some pomegranate and florals as well, a very nice nose. Has drive and fruit, but the two aren’t married yet. Needs about 4 years.

2014 Matthiasson Napa White

Their take on Bordeaux Blanc, herbs and white fruit to sniff, but all quite subtle. A touch of grass and juniper berry. Quite delineated on the tongue, with some truffle aspect to aromatic replays. One to contemplate and probably a good food match.

2015 Tercero Albarino

Got an odd soap and perfume bouquet on this one with apple underneath. A softer, gentler Albarino, lemon and some orange even. A nice quaff.

2013 Betwixt Pinot Noir

Cola and sarsaparilla are present around cherry and strawberry. This is good, lots of red berry speaks through a round, rich frame. Recommendable.

2016 Kutch Sans Soufre Pinot Noir

This is a new thing for Jamie, “without sulphur” is the translation and he did this without any oak. Has enough berry fruit, tinges of cinnamon and cardamom. To taste, quite level and uncomplicated, but also has nice flow and makes for a good quaffer, with raspberry, strawberry and crabapple fruit.

2013 Tercero Mourvedre

Wow! In the sniffer, this is a beaut! Full of chocolate, blackberry, cumin seeds…even a bit of mustard seed thing. I love the nose. To taste, although a little on the sweet side right now, it sticks with you with that black fruit and a rocking espresso afterbreathe. I am pretty confident it will grow into quite the precocious wine and is already a captivating example #4

2013 Concept The Omen Red

Aromas are smoky, meaty and very ripe plum. Not sure of the composition here, but it has Grenache characteristics for me–grapey and sweet side tastes. Pass for me.

2013 DV8 Overdrive Larner Syrah

Nuzzie gets some diesel with lots of black fruit. This has drive but fairly thick and rich with replays. Aptly named.

2013 Cooper Jackson Pinot Noir

Made by/with Brian Loring. Like the interest here, with cherry cheesecake intermingled with baking spices. Straight-line wine on the palate, but it has carry and solid raspberry base.

2013 Cabot Anderson Valley Pinot Noir

Cocoa, dust, strawberry and pomegranate are all swirling around. This is good, it has layers of blue and black fruit and quite a bit of palate allure. #12

2015 Loring Huber Dornfelder

What fun to see this variety! Grapey scents, but with black fruit too. Fun to taste, chirpy and sharp and some tea notes here to sweet-but-angular blackberry and blackcurrant. I’d actually be curious to try this again in 1.5 years or so.

2015 Halcon Wentzel Pinot Noir

From AV, nice-nice bouquet of baking spices around boysenberry and strawberry fruit. And in the mouth, this is very fine, extremely smooth and polished with mincemeat around plenty of red fruit. Probably the surprise of the day for me #3

2015 Loring Clos Pepe Pinot Noir

Good “bright” red and black cherry fruit on nose and mouth. A nice, balanced presentation that can be enjoyed soon.

2012 Argot Syrah

Lots of black plum and some tarry notes come sailing through. To taste, angular yet rich at the same time, kind of top-heavy and rooty for me, sort of disconnected, but to be fair, it’s been open all day

2015 Wind Gap Nellesen Syrah

I like this more–some game/animale here with beef and rich cherry scents. Quite grippy and tart with berries and cured meats. Needs a lot of time.

2015 Loring Rosellas Pinot Noir

Plenty of nutmeg and chocolate aromatics. Has a rugged tang and bracing raspberry that galvanizes the palate. Really quite a nice wine.

2013 Ladd Cellars Moore Ranch Pinot Noir

The Nash was sadly drained. Sweet raspberry, apple peel and a bit of kirsch are scented. Palate has replays with chocolate cherry liqueur added. I like how it builds in power in the mouth

2014 Copain Kiser Combe de Gres Pinot Noir

Near the end of the day, this floored me. Lovely strawberry and boysenberry fruit in the bouquet. And ooo—good! Marvelously vibrant and vivacious with crunchy currant and bright berry fruit yet stays round and deep at the back. This is quite the showstopper, especially late in the day and my WOTD Let’s go with 91 or so.

2014 Boheme English Hill Chard

For me, decent pear contribution with some flowery peach. Replays, but in a savoury line. Lots o carry and freshness, really one of the better chards today.

2015 Fogline Zephyr’s Block Chard

lemon, lime, orange and some truffle underneath on this one. Taste has sort of sour cream element, but bright yellow fruit.

2016 Liquid Farm Vogelzang Rose

Intense “smoked” grapefruit and pomegranate seeds. On the tongue, this is actually softer than usual, but it’s very, very attractive, very dulcet with watermelon, grapefruit and very light strawberry. Goody-good. #14.

2014 Agnitio Sauvignon Blanc

Got grapefruit, some fresh hay and almost a balsam note maybe in the sniffer–interesting stuff. Snappy and quite crisp, but with a bitter feel, a bit too forceful right now.

I had a fantastic time again at this unmissable event.

Mike

Are you sure that the Calluna were 2014s? The 2014 CVC will be released soon but the Estate won’t release until fall.

I think you’re right, Brian—the list says 2013–amended. Thanks for the catch!

Mike

I will add that Jamie brought a mag of 2002 Comtes de Champagne which he generously shared around and was absolutely fantastic juice, would have easily competed for WOTD with…

Ramon was also very generous in giving me a pour of the 1995 Huet Cuvee Constance which you smell and taste and think you’ve died and gone to sweet wine heaven. I am happy that I have one of these to open in about a week in Singapore and will report a bit more thoroughly at that time.

Didn’t look like he had much luck sabering it with his swiss army knife.

Mike,

It was a pleasure as usual getting to spend a bit of time with you yesterday - though not nearly enough :frowning:

You were taking your ‘job’ pretty seriously so many of us were leaving you be :slight_smile:

I’m bummed that you did not get to try my new Mourvedre Rose - and that the paper labels applied to both that sample and my Albarino samples were totally unreadable. And I don’t think you got to my cinsault either . . .

Safe travels my friend, and please keep in touch!

Cheers!

And 2 of my wines of the day were the 85 PX Sherry that was hidden off the kitchen and the 95 Huet Cuvee Constance Ramon was pouring near the end of the auction :slight_smile:

It didn’t keep you from 2 glasses Todd.

Unlike Krug and Dom, CdC Mag glass is short, squatty and as thick as Ron Jeremy. No easy task to clean break even with 40 minutes neck down in ice.

It was good to see so many people. Some I hadn’t seen in 10 years. The event is next to none with the cause making me a life contributor.

Yeah, I’m a fiend for these sweet wines as well. The 1985 PX Sherry was from Toro Albala, the Gran Reserva IIRC. It’s nearly as viscous as motor oil, so it’s something you sip very slowly. The Cuvee Constance was a completely different kettle of fish–light and lively while at the same time very deep and rich; as good as sweet Chenin gets!

Bruce

Glad you had the chance to try the Enfield Syrah. John makes some of my favorite wines in California.

I put this same note on Facebook and also in the Offline Planner. But, since folks seem to be coming to this thread, I want to make sure my wrap up comments get seen for those who attended, or like many who support us from afar. Before I do that, it was a gas seeing Jamie saber that mag of 02 Comtes in my front yard. Fun! And to Mr Grammer, king TN taker, you got 4 dozen down to paper it looks like, proud of you.

It was a privilege to have all of you over here y/day. We’ve built something great together, transcending the original idea 11 years ago, into now being a day when fellowship, warmth and doing something collectively in service to others through Laura’s House is the core purpose. Let Anna’s survivor story from yesterday remind you of why we do this event, why you keep coming back every year, with some of you 10 years (or more) now. This is our purpose.

Make me commitment this week: tell someone about Falltacular. What I mean by this is be an advocate to one person, with your message being about why you attended, what part you played in changing the life of someone like Anna. Like our metaphor of the trees that Mark Jones, Arnie Caplan, Jeffrey Howard and others have built through the event, bringing others to this cause–do the same tree building. We cannot impact the lives of those served by Laura’s House if we remain silent and insulated. Share what we do, as someone in all of this will hear your message, and while they may not be in the middle of a DV situation, they WILL know someone who is. Be the catalyst to get that person help!
God bless everyone for this weekend, thank you.

Just sent Mike on his way after a bit of wine at home and a nice lunch at our local brew pub…Hop Saint. Great event as always and a pleasure to meet so many new faces along with the usual suspects!

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

The photo of Jamie K and the quest to sabre!
16730363_10212762188675616_5693655761404782570_n (1).jpg

ha, not Todd, Brian just uses Todd’s face in his avatar

Mike

Glad you liked our Wentzel Pinot - it was actually a 2015. A tighter vintage (compared to 2014), so especially pleased it showed so well so early.

One more photo. Second from left is Kurt Beitler (Boheme Wines) and on far right, Eric Lundblad (Ladd Cellars). These guys, like so many in the winery community, make this event possible. Thank You!

[attachment=0]16864128_10212762187115577_2503672226047169731_n.jpg
16864128_10212762187115577_2503672226047169731_n.jpg

Dude, I stole the 1/2 empty bottle and we’re crushing it with cioppino. It’s fantastic. 12.5% ABV… Beauty.

Brig—notes? [grin.gif]

Larry–I was bummed too, both at wanting more time to chat and wanting to try so much more Tercero. I did get the tiniest last sip of the Cinsault, but would want more to assess. Glad you were able to make it though, and to have a little time to get together and talk.

Marshall and Diana—thank you so much again for your time and companionship today, something that is necessary for me as a part of this weekend. I love spending time, and super-bonus that Ed Gonzalez was down from the Valley so I could catch up with him too. I will report briefly on the wines in another thread tomorrow.

Paul–thanks a bunch, I have amended.

Frank—I surely will—it’s going out in an extensive diary entry to my folks and a bunch of my close friends. As always, this doesn’t happen without you and Jill. We all owe you so very much for being the glue and the lightning rod that brings us all together.

Just getting back to the hotel after a marvelous evening with Paul Hiyake and others—those wines, too, I will report on shortly.

All best, already looking forward to next year.

And everyone—please do post on your faves and especially on wines that I missed.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for making the long trek up to my area - and thank you for sharing the zind humbrecht and the la tour Blanche!!! So glad we could get together before you headed off for the next leg of mike on tour - and I will find the 90’s sleepy hollow for next time you come out.

Thanks for all the tasting notes, Mike!!!