Wine shops in Kauai?

Heading to Kauai for a week today. I’m bringing the Wine Check with a case of good stuff, but I’ll definitely need more (my whole family will be there). Any decent shops there?

Anyone who says “you can’t drink wine in the humidity” or “just drink beer” gets kicked in the nuts. I’m a WINE Berserker. :slight_smile:

Just spent ten days in Wailea/Makena I can attest to the fact that you can drink any wine you want in Hawaii. Luckily, Wailea has a very good wine shop.

Hey Chris,

Was just there last month. Try The Wine Shop in Poipu. The proprietor, Dan, can hook you up with some “no-corkage” business cards. Plenty of BYO places. Feel free to PM me if you want restaurant recs. Have fun!

Jeremy

Headed there myself on Monday. There is a shop with a good selection on the main drag in Koloa (just outside of Poipu) – between Lappert’s and the supermarket. I can’t say that anyplace there is the bargain capital of the world.

Sorry I’ll miss you both, Counsellor, Stewart—only in Oahu for Monday-Wed morning. Have fun

Mike

Thanks, Jeremy and Stuart!

Mike, hope our paths cross soon. Unfortunately, this trip took me away from seeing you at Franktacular.

Doh! Stewart is suggesting the same place and is more accurate with location. There’s another place to purchase wine near there, a specialty grocery, in The Shops at Kukui’ula.

We were in Kauai in November for a week. Brought a case of wine with us and were easily able to bring a bottle to every dinner. Very nice BYO atmosphere on the island. Have fun!

Yes, it’s the Wine Shop on Koloa Road next to the Koloa Fish Market. I stopped in there on my recent stay and had fun looking at the shelves. It’s not nearly as large of a selection as I would find in most
full-service wine stores in Los Angeles, but you’ll find at least a few bottles that might spark your interest.

Bruce

There is a superior wine shop in Princeville, with great selections, some hard to get.
If you are going to see the amazingly beautiful and unique North Shore for its old time Hawaii feel(no structures over two stories, no chain stores)numerous beaches, or great jungle hikes, golf, stables or international polo matches, or to stay in one of the lushest spots on earth, it is right off the highway in the Princeville Center, it has an excellent selection and cigars as well.
Be sure to stop by the Dolphin fish market behind the restaurant on your way into Hanalei. Oh my, multiple deliveries every day!

Three good shops on the island (we were there in January)… owners were all very friendly and eager to help those with a interest in wine.

Princeville wine market - as Richard said, great selection including Raveneau, Ganevat and greatest hits from Burgundy and Piedmont

The Wine Garden (just outside of Lihue) - small shop but we got a fair bit here as we drank mostly Dupeuble rose and Fontsainte Gris de Gris.

Koloa Wine Market - Lieu Dit, Turley, Lioco, Merry Edwards, DRC Echezaux tucked away too.

Living foods in Kukuiula - small selection but we found some nice Alsacians whites

Chris,
Tony hit my Reccos. There is also a Costco in Lihue.

Another vote for the Princeville wine shop. But I did. But I did not do too bad a few month’s ago at the supermarket in the sampe Princeville Center; nothing fantastic, but a decent selection of wines with some that offer fair value. Don’t forget to eat in Tiki Iniki right there, owned by Todd Rundgren’s wife, and, in Hanelei, Bouchon’s-kind of a bar and burger joint with entrees, all good, but I had AMAZING sushi there.

Kauai Ono is a fun dining experience. it’s a five course meal for around $60 served for about 24 people at communal tables under a tent in Hanalei. Very good food and byob. Put on some mosquito repellent.

Just returned from a stay on the north shore. Our wine sources were:
our Wine Check;
Costco in Lihue;
Princeville Wine Market and
the Palate Market in Kiluea. It is a small shop with a limited but very interesting inventory of wines located in the Kong Lung Market Center. It shares a common wall with the Palate Wine Bar, an equally compact but intimate wine and tapas room. We enjoyed the tasting there every Sunday evening. Drew and AJ are passionate about wine and sake. Tell them Aaron Rodgers sent you and they will take especially good care of you.