TN: 2014 Kutch chardonnay

I stopped writing notes over a year ago in favor of enjoying the moment, the wine and the company. I feel compelled, however, to write something about this. I had heard how burgundian this was, and how great it was. Like many other wines with incredible praise, I went in with little to no expectation because, well, we have all heard how great this or that wine is. This wine really is surprisingly good. I had the sensation of butter in the attack at first, which made me think of course, another oak bomb, but the oak never came. With a little air, there is distinct flint, yellow orchard fruit, lemon and lime and a very clean finish. Ive never had a great chassagne, but this is what I imagine one would taste like. My buddy Nick is over for the weekend and we immediately pulled some seabass from the freezer to taste with this and an 02 comtes we were working on. Cooked it simply in a butter lemon and riesling sauce (left of '71 riesling from the night before) and the Kutch further developed some cool lemon, lime notes. This is a great wine. Cant wait to see what time does to it. Awesome job Kutch team. The comtes does not suck at all :slight_smile:

It really is an impressive wine. I’ll be buying all I can the next times around.

Will be posting notes on the 15 as part of FallTacular—completely opposite wine, but also very, very good.

Glad you enjoyed, Berto

Mike

Opposite in what way Mike?

Flavour profile—it still has a raciness about it, but flavours and sweetness quotient are quite different. If I need a generalization, I would say that the 15 is much more accessible out of the gate, Loren.

See below:

2015 Kutch Sonoma Coast Chard

tightly wound but alluring ,some hints at tropical fruit around apple and citrus. What an interesting wine! Has tremendous crisp juiciness–like biting into a fresh orange–but so different from the Santa Cruz. I would definitely want to order some of this too. #6

Mike