Portland wine scenes?

I am going to Portland for a week in the middle of March and hope to get some tips from the board - Any suggestions for good wine scenes there? Much appreciated!

My schedule probably won’t allow a trip to Willamette Valley, so will have to spend all that time in the city. [cheers.gif]

Ambonnay wine bar is great for Champagne, fun little place. Bar Vivant/Pixe Patisserie has a massive list (one of the largest Champagne selections I’ve seen). Teutonic Winery is in Portland, as well as some others are downtown to. Look at Eater PDX 38, lots of great restaurants listed, most have a good selection. Food and wine prices are generally quite fair in Portland compared to other big cities.

Thank you, Grant!

Are you looking specifically for Oregon wine or just any wine shop/bar or food or what?

Davenport has an outstanding wine list…Kurt has a rather large collection of international wine.

For more wine shops:

Park Avenue Wines - Great wine shop and lots of cool stuff at the bar.
Oregon Wines on Broadway (have not been in a while but they used to have a good list)
Division Wine Bar - Smaller shop but lots of good local stuff by the glass.
Liner and Elson

Thank you, Brandon! I don’t have a specific plan, but it’s always nice to learn more about Oregon PN. I think I actually went to the wine bar on Broadway once three years ago. It’s indeed a nice cozy place!

[quote=“Brandon J.”]Are you looking specifically for Oregon wine or just any wine shop/bar or food or what?

Davenport has an outstanding wine list…Kurt has a rather large collection of international wine.

For more wine shops:

Park Avenue Wines - Great wine shop and lots of cool stuff at the bar.
Oregon Wines on Broadway (have not been in a while but they used to have a good list)
Division Wine Bar - Smaller shop but lots of good local stuff by the glass.
Liner and Elson[/quote

Plus 1 on all of this.

Perhaps for food as well add:

Nostrana
Taqueria Nueve
Le Pigeon (great glass pour list)

Davenport is exceptional for choices

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned the SE Wine Collective:

Some of the current Board darlings are alumni. Division is probably the current highest profile member but there are plenty of participants worth trying.

There’s a working production facility next to the wine bar. I was there during harvest season, so things were busy next door, it’s probably quieter this time of year. The day I was there with my son, he rather snarkily pointed out that the crew working in the winery that day were drinking Rainier (yes, I seem to have raised a beer snob).

You can bring your own wine to almost any restaurant in Portland, and except for a few fru-fru restaurants that charge $20 corkage per bottle, every normal place charges $10/bottle, even for a mag often.

I don’t think Portland itself has a great wine scene, but there are tons of good restaurants. You should go shopping, get some bottles locally that you’d otherwise never be able to find, and then make your own wine scene/party. Hell, show up with a half case of Pinots and make some immediate friends.

Isn’t this a post for the travel forum?

Thanks for all the tips!
BTW, I didn’t realize there is a travel forum…good to know!

If you’re up for visiting wineries located in town check out http://pdxurbanwineries.com/

Enjoy your visit. Cheers, Ed

ITB, Angel Vine

• A lot. A must stop on our (now) annual trips to PDX.

Headed to Portland in a few hours, happy to see that Park Avenue shows up as a recommended retailer, their online offerings seem to match well with my preferences. While in town, I’ll be taking delivery of some 2015 Cameron, but based on recent reviews, may have to seek out more.

Also check out Vinopolis wine shop, not far from downtown, with a huge inventory. Best of all, their entire inventory can be viewed online.
As for corkage, 99% of Portland restaurants allow it, maybe 100%. Most charge $15 to $20, with a few charging more. A few charge even less.
In short, Portland is good to wine lovers. But please don’t tell anyone.
Phil Jones

Park Ave. Wines is also Bardot, which is a wine bar and a very nice, but small menu most days. I have been there a few times and have been very happy. If you go, make sure you don’t overlook the chalk board special wines. There are true gems on there, like Vatan or older Eyrie and Cristom.

You should check out Teutonic Wine Company. They really are doing a fantastic job there and creating some interesting wines. It’s my favorite producer in all of Oregon. Food friendly, acid driven wines, that don’t destroy your pocket book.