Decent wine stores Big Sky MT or Park City UT?

Anyone have any ideas?

Utah has state liquor stores and the selection was pretty bad!
This post is brought to you by the huge line for the independence chair at Breckenridge today

The Park City state store was a pleasant surprise!

I’d give it a go!

Hows the weather? I head back to CO tomorrow and it looks mighty warm

I was in Park City last December - I tried to get something at the state liquor store for New Years Eve. It was super busy and hectic inside and the layout was not great. The store was kind of a mess and it took me 10 minutes to find someone to direct me to the section I wanted. He was super brusque with me and generally just looked pissed off.

On top of that, while I was in the store, the manager got on the overhead PA and said that they were in trouble because of selling to a minor, so they were on some sort of super-secret Utah State probation. They were going to card every single person in the store, “even your grandma”, it didn’t matter if they weren’t making a purchase or not. Needless, to say, I left.

Plus - selection and prices were not great. I guess I am spoiled living in CA.

Good luck!

Usually a friend hauls in wine (lives in Santa Rosa). Don’t know about this time, and this is the last stop on a trip bouncing around, which is too much to haul wine around with me to each place.

Anyone know if Bozeman has anything?

Well, it has been a few years since I was in Park City, but I recall a state store right behind the corner of Kearns and Park Ave, near a market there but a self-standing store, and that I did ok in there. But I was not looking for anything great, or even special pricing. I was there to ski, was eating and drinking (beer included) along Main St, and bought whatever I thought offered some value for the evening night cap. But I thought the store was serviceable.

Concerning Big Sky,

Unless there is something new, the wine shops in Bozeman are quite “standard issue.”

The best shop in the area is Belgrade Liquors, in Belgrade, Montana. ( geographically part way between Bozeman and Big Sky, much closer to Bozeman. the configuration of the roads require you to drive almost right by it.) Somewhat good selection, but provenance issues, and wouldn’t test the older bottles.

At Big Sky itself, the Hungry Moose, a smallish grocery, has good selection, unless you are AFWE, and then the pickings are slim. In the “meadows” area, there is a new super-market, the name eludes me, with mostly ordinary selections.

There is a new restaurant in the meadows of Big Sky, called Michelangelos, with an okay wine list.

Wish it were better. Bring your own.

Robert

IIRC in Park City, if you are buying at the state run liquor store, you can BYO that to local restaurants. That being said pricing/selection looked underwhelming when we visited last February. I had stuffed a few bottles in our suitcase so survived on those during the trip.

Although not Big Sky, when we were in Whitefish two years ago, I thought the local Costco was pretty decent for wine selection. We picked up a range of stuff.

Yesterday I stopped by Costco #673 in Eagle Co. and it was also underwhelming. Still we needed libations, so picked up some quaffers like Guigal, Kermit Lynch etc.

It’s easy to forget how spoiled we are in Northern California when my grocery store has better selection/pricing than small mountain towns.

I was born and raised in Bozeman and would NOT call “The Wine Gallery” “stansard issue”. Pretty descent selection, and worth a stop before going to Big Sky.