Burg Newbies and Two Notes

Had some Burg Newbies over and wanted to give them a sense of the range, so paired a good producer, young , village wine, with a GC from an older vintage, though not a great one, by a relatively good, and relatively good QPR vigneron.

Began with:

2012 Rousseau Gevrey-Chambertin
Very light colored for young Gevrey, with a decent but not especially distinctive bouquet. Cherry and raspberry upfront, this could have been mistaken for a Sonoma Coast offering, were it not for the hints of minerality, soil, and a little spice in the finish. Enormously pretty wine, well balanced, and not missing anything (not weak in the mid-palate or so on), just delicate and balanced, and not wholly what I expected from this producer, though not disappointed, indeed happy to have 2 more, which I will let rest.

1998 Jean et Louis Trapet Latriciere-Chambertin
Nose on this was fantastic from the get-go, spices (of black pepper and star anise), dark and inviting . Let decant for about half an hour, as I detected something slightly funky and sharp initially. When we got to it, it was really in prime form. Might have been darker than the Rousseau, color was red to purple, and still relatively youthful, giving secondary not primary flavors. Not an enormous wine, like its Chambertin cousins (or sibs?) can be, but stood up nicely to the main course (of prime steak), where along with a mouthful of anise-y Vosne-ish spice, some black truffle came through on the finish, all melded in with not especially fruit-y dark fruit. This could age further but was definitely ready to go and was exemplary, to my mind, of what G-C Burg, and only G-C Burg can provide.

Nice notes, but what did the Newbies have to say?

Good question, Xavier.
They both “got” and liked the Rousseau right away; the Trapet took them a little more time to wrap their heads around. One of them, at least,definitely “got” it, as well. Said he had never tasted anything like it, and I said, yes, that’s the point!

very nice of you. I’ve been mentoring a couple guys, too, and helping them w purchases. Vicarious pleasure passing deals to friends.