TN: A Tale of Two Syrahs (Mollydooker & Clape)

A TALE OF TWO SYRAHS (MOLLYDOOKER & CLAPE) - Our home (2/18/2017)

I love Syrah. I love all styles of Syrah if well made. Tonight I decided to compare a couple of very different versions. I was going to open the 2008 Clape but I knew my wife would not like it. So, I opened the 2010 Mollydooker and thought, why not both? As it turned out, I really liked them both and about the same amount but they were quite different. Some surprises; there were more red fruit notes on the Mollydooker and purple fruits on the Clape. The Mollydooker has calmed down since the release while the Clape has put on weight. In the end, I am glad I can appreciate both styles although I know many would love one and hate the other of these (on both sides).

• 2010 Mollydooker Shiraz Carnival of Love - Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale
    This did not seem to me as big as some of the earlier times I have had it but it is still a big wine. Purple in color, bright. The nose has a lot of dark cherries and cherries with lots of coconut and cedar. On the palate, this approaches cherry cough syrup but stops a bit short. Lots of dark cherry fruit especially on the finish. Some warmth, not heat. Nice texture. The oak is more noticeable on the nose, but still some on the palate. Overall, I get why this is not for everyone, but for those who like this style, it is quite good. I am less dogmatic and like most styles of wine if made well, and this one is. (92 pts.)
  • 2008 Domaine Auguste Clape Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas
    This has put on a bit of weight since release. This was a lighter/weaker vintage depending on your take and preferences. Like all great wineries, however, they tend to still make great wine in unusual years. This is a leaner, less ripe wine, but still outstanding for those who like this style. Ruby/purple in color. The nose has boysenberries, black olives, pepper and slight earthy/twiggy notes. I got nothing green on the nose and the fruit is all “purple”. On the palate, this is sinewy if that makes sense. Lean but what is there is strong. Black raspberries, some complexities, some tannins left. Probably close to peak but not quite. Showing a hint of mature notes, but mostly young fresh fruit. Nice acidity and balance. Good finish. It exceeded my expectations but not the great wine that this winery can produce when nature helps out. If you like big wines, stay away from this one. (92 pts.)

I did leave a small amount to sample on Day 2 to see how that changes things.
Posted from CellarTracker

Loren, all I can say is that you are ecumenical.

LOL – yeah, Loren is maybe the only person on the entire wine internet who could have a Mollydooker and a 2008 Clape and give them the exact same positive rating.

I can’t comment on the Mollydooker, but Loren you nailed the 2008 Clape Cornas. That wine has evolved beautifully, as have many other 2008 Northern Rhones. I like those vintages which produce leaner wines as much as any others.

Takes lotsa guts eh.

That’s why I like reading Loren’s notes: not only can he appreciate a broad variety of wines and wine styles, you can get good impressions of the wines. For instance, reading his notes on this thread would make me hesitate to drink the Mollydooker (which I own), but the Clape sounds interesting.