TN: 1994 Ravenswood Zinfandel, Monte Rosso Vineyard. WOW!!

Oh man, this was REALLY freaking good! I got too cute with the cork and lost the bottom half in the bottle, but it didnt matter. As soon as i popped (err…pushed) it open, the room filled with red berries, leather, and a dusty cassis type thing that made my knees weak. The color (for those that find value in that type of thing) was shockingly youthful, with just a very slight hint of bricking at the edges. In the mouth, this was just stunning. So fresh and clean. Bright red fruits, with waves of acidity that made this so easy, and so enjoyable to drink. Literally made my mouth water in-between sips. In an almost perfect place right now, but I’ll probably wait a couple years on my last one just to see what happens…since there’s actually still a slight bit of tannin evident on the long, harmonious finish. Killer wine.

Who says Zinfandel doesn’t age well!! Huge hi-five to Joel Peterson. Makes me even more bullish on my Once & Future wines.

Awesome bottle, awesome note. Cheers Rich!

Those early to mid '90s Ravenswoods were so good.

Some of those old Ravenswoods really are terrific. And mostly cheap at auction.

Pop opened a '93 today that was absolutely singing. it is almost like he knew what he was doing after making Ravenswood for 17 years! [dance-clap.gif]

Nice Morgan! Word around the campfire is that the 93 is tops (per our very own Dr. Glenn Levine). Haven’t had the pleasure yet myself…but if it’s anywhere near as good as the 94, I’m all in man.

Awesome note, Rich!

I am 90% sure I have a 1993 left. BBQ summer 18 will make it 25 years old…

The 1995 is in large part responsible for my wind buying habit. The first wine that really made me realize how good Zinfandel can be. Monte Rossi is still may favorite zin vineyard.

Thank youbfir a great note!

Joel was pouring the '93 Belloni today at the O&F pick up. Liked it so much we bought a magnum.

That’s awesome. Mags for sale??

I thought Mr Peterson bought some old stock that was going to be dumped by constellation. I thought he was going to offer it up to us winos (not monte rosso particularly)?

He has 1,800 cases of Ravenswood from 1976 to the 90’s. He was pouring “Once” the '93 Belloni, '91 Cook Vyd Zin, '91 Sangiacomo Merlot, and a '93 Carneros Cab and offering bottles of each for sale. The Belloni was only abailable in Magnum. And “Future” the Mataro, Bedrock Zin, Teldeschi Zin and Palisades PS. We added some Teldeschi Frank’s Block as well because it was very tasty. The Mataro had some wild aromatics! Was already picking up 6 of those so no more needed.

Ran into Chris there and he said Bedrock is rolling out their new website tomorrow in front of the Spring release. “All new, tons of info” he said. I’m looking forward to perusing it Monday.

Would have loved to have been at that pick up. Damn exciting he snagged so many cases of old Ravenswood - hope they do offer some up to the O&F list.

And yep, Chris mentioned that new site to me as well (while he was going above and beyond with customer service as usual). Can’t wait to check that out. He seemed pretty pumped about it.

I’m glad they’re updating the website. It is not user friendly at all. Same platform as Becklyn, and Quivet. Glad they’re upgrading to what everyone else is using.

Gotta love those older zins from good producers. They gain an elegance that can be amazing. Most of my 10+ year old zins have been from Ridge but also a few from Ravenswood and Carlisle.

Joel has said that he might start offering some of that old Ravenswood for sale to the O&F list. Can’t wait to see that happen.

Bummer I missed that open house. I guess that’s a perk to having your flight to Falltacular cancelled!

A lot of those Ravenswood Zins from 1990-1994 were spectacular, and I am not surprised they are still drinking well. I am sure well stored Pickberry’s from that time frame are also still really good.

Thanks,
Ed