TN: 2000 AAlto P.S., Ribera del Duero

TN: 2000 AAlto P.S., Ribera del Duero. A big, in your face high-toned nose of ripe fruit. This giant nose is not raisined, but certainly pushing the ripeness. OK – let’s taste it. The first taste makes me think Ribera del Duero has been transplanted to Australia in a hot year where they were drunk and forgot to pick the grapes for a number of weeks. Gross. Too much oak, but that is more in the background and the real problem is the ripeness. I don’t hate the regular bottling of AAlto at all, though I usually find it very big and only for certain evenings. This “special” bottle was $70 (shoot me now). What idiot gave this huge ratings? What idiot bought it on those high ratings? (Ooops, that was me!) 80 points. [inquisition.gif]

They were only created in 1999 if I remember correctly, and you’re right, they produced big wines. Maybe too big - I don’t have any from 2000 so can’t speak to what they’re like today.

But I think they’re a bit more restrained today. In any event, I always liked the regular bottling too.

Thanks for the note, AB!!

I had the 2000 Aalto PS some time around 2005/6 (didn’t pay for it). I was into the big, rich Zins and the wine played right into my taste preferences.

I don’t remember the oak being as dominant as the majority of TNs indicate, just big, polished fruit.

I had this a couple of times. A ton of oak on release, still a fair amount a few years ago. I liked it more than you though but thought it needed more time to come together. In 2014, I gave it 94 and my notes are posted on CT. I does have ripe fruit, but not over ripe for me and as you say, not raisin. Not too unlike many of the better 2003 BDX more than Zin like for my tastes, but it is pushing it and if one doesn’t like that style, you won’t like this.

Did your tastes change since then as this was no secret what it was like on release or were you buying on points back then?

Thinking back, perhaps “way too overripe Zin” is a good simile.

Loren, I had only had the regular bottling when I purchased this singlet to put away and see what came of it. Unfortunately, this is more akin to a soft drink than I prefer.

I saved a small amount in an airtight bottle in the refrigerator over night. This evening, it has lost its high-toned character. The nose has fled. Its calmed down over night, but its astringent on the palate today, presumably oak tannin. No change in my rating on this bottle. Meh.

We once had some mostly blind Spanish tasting maybe 10-15 years ago and that or maybe it was the 2001 swept the field. Never followed up on that, but occasionally had their lower level bottling, which I still thought was pricey.

My favorite Ribera del Duero remains the consistent and poised Hacienda Monasterio

I had a glass of their base RdD at an airport wine bar today. I didn’t see what vintage, probably whatever is the current release. It was pretty good - modern/international, but not overdone on ripeness and oak, and he had just opened the bottle. Not something I’d seek out compared to other things I could be buying, but it was a good glass of wine.

I also had a glass of Domaine Serene Yamhill PN, probably 2014. Kind of thin and dull, tasted like a wine that had been open a few days, though the guy assured me it was not.

I had a couple of bottles of the 2000 a few years back and thought it was delicious. It is still my favorite of the three vintages I have had (2000, 2001 and 2004). You have to have a strong tolerance for oak, though, there’s no doubt about that: the dude uses a lot of it. He’s been making wine like that since the 60’s, so maybe that’s what passes for traditional in RdD.