Friday night pizza TNs: a trio of 2008 Italians

So I had dinner last month with a few fellow Berserkers, and one of them asked a question about the on and off Friday night pizza TNs series - it reminded me that I have been somewhat lax in posting notes lately, so I paired these three wines up with a Sicilian pie tonight.

• 2008 Argiano Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (2/17/2017)
    Similar in color to the Salicutti; the nose is more a mixture of red & black fruit, and there is some funk here as well - pretty interesting nose.

For a Brunello less than 10 years old, pretty seamless right now. Not as acidic as the Salicutti (which for me is a minus), but otherwise no complaints.

• 2008 Gulfi Sicilia Neromaccarj - Italy, Sicily, Sicilia (2/17/2017)
    As a “precursor” to this note, while I am a big fan of Etna Rosso, I am always concerned to a degree about roasted/overripe fruit when it comes to the rest of Sicily.

The color here is clearly darker than both of the Brunello, with a nose that is more in the very ripe/overripe black fruit spectrum.

More balanced on the palate, with good persistence on the finish. I could mark this down for a touch less acidity than I would prefer, but not bad at all (although if you are bothered by pruney accents, the nose might be problematic).

Decent acidity, nice length on the finish, red-fruits on the palate - I like this, but probably still a little too young.

Posted from CellarTracker

“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie…”

The Gulfi names always confuse me, but their higher-end nero’s can age well; I had an 05 late last year that showed very well [cheers.gif]

the 2010 Salicutti is an incredibly brilliant expressive wine with some decanter time
thanks for the 2008 note