TN: Maculan Torcolato '02...(short/boring)

Had this w/ my Panettone Bread Pudding this week:

1. Maculan Torcolato DOC: Breganze (13.5%; L.4521; LeonardoLocasioSlctns/Winebow) 2002: Deep golden/burnished bronze/bit browning color; very intense earthy/grapey/passito rather honeyed/honeycomb/orangey very complex beautiful nose; quite sweet very honeyed/honeycomb/orangey very grapey/passito beautiful/complex flavor; very long/lingering very sweet intense grapey/passito/honeycomb/orangey slight earthy complex finish; a beautiful complex dessert wine and a steal at $30.00/hlf (KK)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Torcolato means “twisted” in the local Swahili dialect. The grapes, vespaiolo, are twisted into long 12’ strands and then hung in the attic to dehydrate before fermenting. The grapes are sometimes affected, slightly, by botrytis. The current vintage is 2011. They also make a Acininobili from botrytised vespaiolo grapes and a Dindarello Orange Muscat. All very good dessert wines.
    Tom

Used to buy this all the time. Agree it’s a great bargain. Stopped buying just because I wasn’t drinking dessert wine as fast as I was buying it. I still have a couple bottle s from the 90s

Thanks Tom
I haven’t bought this wine in a while and need to remedy. We’ve always enjoyed them.

Thanks for the note Tom. I was gifted a 375 of the 2007 and have been wondering if it’s a drink now sort of wine or if it’s meant for aging.

Well, David…I don’t think it’ll get a whole lot better unless you take it out 10-20 yrs. Just as well drink up.
Tom

Thanks, it will go on the short list to open soon.