Lets talk Mondeuse!

Mondeuse has not featured in my cellar for quite a long while but I about to open the 2012 Idylle from Savoie. There appears to be plenty of discussion here on Californian versions so which wines have our esteemed members tasted lately?

Opened my magnum of 2000 Carlisle Mondeuse a few months ago. It was a beauty. I think Frank or Brig might have posted notes on it at the time.

Didn’t Mike O. Discover that his source of mondeuse wasn’t actually mondeuse after all??

My current favorite is Lagier-Meredith.

Carlisle seems to get a lot of approval but would be hard to find up here in the frozen north!

Belluard for me.

My bottle is in fact labelled Clos Idylle so I think higher end. My first impression is serve a tad chilled and wait an hour!

Full disclosure. Chris Seiber’s nickname is “Mond2” [cheers.gif]

Does anyone want to give us a primer on the grape, where it originated, where it’s grown today, good producers, etc?

I haven’t tasted it yet but I did pick up the recently released Clenenden family vineyards Mondeuse Rose. It was available at the Au Bon Climat tasting room in Santa Barbara. I would imagine it’s not widely available but a quick google search did show that it looks like a few online retailers sold prior vintages, if that helps!

Not a fan, sorry.

France or California?? One well-known taster on CT thought the California red “bears little resemblance to a Savoie”

Well, now that I think about it, it could be refosco - which it was believed was the same as mondeuse awhile ago - I was thinking about. But still, the versions from Savoie and Carlisle’s from California haven’t done as much for me as other obscure vines from the area like poulsard or pignolo.

Paging Tooch

TN: 2012 Domaine de L`Idylle Mondeuse Vin de Savoie.

Cellared 2 yrs, price unknown, good natural cork, 14% alc. Opened 3 hrs, drank over 2 days.

Color is pale dull strawberry with watery rim. Nose is a tad closed over the time open but “would have guessed Gamay” from a wine store owner I was visiting. Some floral notes on day 2 but could not find a lot going on
Initial entry thought is savoury, spice, Rhone-like. Pepper, red fruits, earthy, good tannins, plum. Cherry later, good acidity, not a lot of ripe fruit here. “Tart” from across the table as we finished the wine off. Needs food to help it along, I am intrigued to find more but at a price I guess?

inspired by this thread, had a couple of Mondeuse rose’s recently:

–2016 Clendenen Family Vineyards, Mondeuse noir rose, Bien Nacido estate plantings. aromatic/fruity on the nose, great acidity and apples/pears on the palate. light but satisfying, had with spicy Mexican food/tacos and it went really well.

–2015 Forlorn Hope Kumo To Ame, Mondeuse noir rose, Rorick vineyard from Calaveras County.
searched for more info on it and found Tom Hill’s TN from before: TN: Forlorn-Hope Kumo To Ame Mondeuse Rose '15..(short/boring) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers
perhaps it’s the 1 year age, but it had more of a caramel/vanilla flavor to it, esp initially, but had more pear/sweet green apple with time.

both were intriguing. interested to see what a non-rose Mondeuse would taste like.

I still have a bottle of '99 Carlisle Mondeuse. Some things are hard to pull the cork on. Soon though. Years ago I thought it could last.

A fascinating story on Mondeuse arrival in Oregon