Paetra Riesling From Berserkers day.

One of the wines I took a flyer on, having no history or knowledge of and boy am I glad! I took a mixed 6 pack and opened the Yamhil-Carlton 2015 bottling yesterday, giving it a 4 hour cool down from the shipping box. A bit more Gold in color than I’m used to in Riesling but a lovely nose of Blushed apples and seaside. flavor was of Pink lady apples with a very light touch of salt. Dry-ish with a acid streak and that hint of residual sugar that my favorite Rieslings give me. Had it with a 5spice rubbed duck breast and couscous. Had planned to open a red but it tasted so good while cooking that I just hung with it and boy am I glad. Best domestic Riesling I have found.

Good to hear! I ordered a six pack, looking forward to them.

I had the 2015 “K” at an offline recently and it was a good wine. I am not ready to crown Paetra king after that one experience, but I am definitely interested in trying more. I think Trisaetum has one of the most interesting riesling programs in Oregon, and obviously Brooks has been doing great things for a long time. Thanks for sharing.

Maybe a bit hyperbolic, but I have never been impressed with domestic versions of the grape. They all seemed a bit flabby to me. So maybe not THE best, but the best I’ve had so far.

Thank you Robert. I read your TN to my wife and it made our day! We don’t mind the hyperbole in the least! [basic-smile.gif]

The Yamhill-Carlton site is north facing and really cool, which helps to explain the higher acidity even in a warmer year like 2015. It’s an own-rooted Geisenheim clone which do get really appley. I’m interested to see what you think of the Eola-Amity Hills riesling which is N90 clone and very spicey and peachy with a little less sugar. If you like acid, hold on for the 2016’s! They are 1-2 g/l higher than '15.

I’m glad you liked the K too Ron. If you ever get down to the valley, please give me a call. I’d love to go through some barrels and bottles with you.

Peter, the east-coast deliveries will go out as soon as I’m sure they won’t freeze going over the Rockies and the northern plains. Mid-Marchish?

Thanks again! Cheers!
Bill

In addition to Bill’s Rieslings you should most definitely sample the wines from Ovum and Love & Squalor. Both are doing exceptional work, as is Bill, with Riesling. None of them produce anything remotely flabby.

Sure, ship when ready. I’d rather wait than have them get too cold.

Agree on the Ovum. And not just their Rieslings. Popped a 2011 gewurtz the other day that was pretty special.

Love the Ovum Off the Grid bottling! I might have to find a bottle of the Paetra to try.

Thank you Marcus! Your 2012 Ana(?) Riesling was fantastic. You should get back into the game!

Cheers,
Bill

Bill-I have to admit that your wines and the Ovum wines are making it very hard to sit on the sidelines. Great work and beautiful wines.

Thanks for the note, Robert!!

I love a fresh/zingy Riesling!

I didn’t jump fast enough on BD, but today bought a mixed case from Vinopolis. [wow.gif]