TN: Ganevat les Chalasses Marnes Bleues 2013

really outside my zone with a bottle of Savagnin from the Jura. Tastes like a creamy Sauvignon blanc without the edges or aggressiveness, but not really interesting enough to buy more. Nice wine, but that’s it.

You’re turning into a Hipster Doc.

Send your extra bottles to me :slight_smile:.

That said, I haven’t had the 2013.

I found the 2012 wasnt ready yet either a couple months ago. My experience is that they need a solid 7+ yrs, with vintage variability. I found the 2012 got better after about 3+hrs. Really started to to open up.

But yeah, If you dont want the rest I’ll take em off your hands too.

perhaps Ganevat’s rendition would impress you…

damn autocorrect–didn’t notice that and will correct. Thanks. Was the only bottle of that wine I could find.

I poured a 2010 Ganevat Chardonnay for you a while back. You didn’t say much about it. Tough to impress you, I guess. I’ll have to pull out the big guns.

no memory of that. Bring out Montrachet. I will remember.

So it’s all about the labels, eh?

I recently had the 2009 vintage of this wine, and although I enjoyed it, like yours I was not especially excited; the similarity to me was towards Chablis, but in any case it was much less interesting than a previous (2002) Ganevat savagnin I have had.

Some possibilities: of course, more aging might be helpful, but I think also that Ganevat’s style sometimes (more recently perhaps?) tends towards the less-oxidative, and to me this makes savagnin a little anonymous. Even his recent chardonnays, which I think are truly excellent, lean in my tasting towards Burgundy, much more so than many other Jura producers.

I agree with Steve on he descriptors but I wouldn’t call it anonymous; maybe polished. Count me as a big fan, esp of Marnes Bleus. I’m happy to take bottles off people’s hands as well!

also got a magnum of Chalasses VV 2013–will wait on opening.

this is definitely a wine that shows more with time in the cellar. i find his chardonnays are more approachable young.

Just had the 11 of this yesterday

“I think Mark brought this. I’ve not had anything from this house before. It is a Savagnin from Jura but with normal elevage as opposed to passito-style as they do for the Vins Jaunes and Vins de Paille in this region. This stressed a herb and somewhat green tea side on the bouquet and light ginger-laced lemon with a bit of saline at the back in the mouth. Really, this does show the grape’s characteristics without the nutty/smoky side that you get in the passito-style wines. A fine starter”