How will you 'fix' that wine Jay Hack - WSJ article

From one of my favorite wine writers Lettie Teague.

Okay, but if I don’t want to subscribe to WSJ?? More info?

Thus worked for me

https://www.google.com/amp/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/tricks-to-make-a-bad-wine-better-1484841139?client=safari

You can usually find a cached article by using google to search. Can’t explain the exact steps

Copy this line (the title of the article)

Tricks to Make a Bad Wine Better

and paste it into google search. The first hit should be the WSJ article. Click on that link and you should get the entire article.

David, bingo! Thanks a lot for the info. Enjoyed the article. People have left over sparkling wines?

I’ve used the saran wrap trick, sort of helped. Had a bad run of corky bottles in the summer.

I think the formula for saran wrap changes from time to time, so you never know if you are getting pure polyethylene.

Be honest, none of these methods really work. Corked is corked. Yes, there are degrees of corkage but once TCA is present, it ain’t leaving. Blenders are for smoothies, not wine.

Your Fourrier shake is ready sir.

Hey, Mel Knox is mentioned in the article as well. :wink:

I have done the “penny trick” (a Barbaresco) and the “hyper-oxygenation” (Carlisle Winery 2013 Papera Vineyard Zin) via blender. Both worked admirably.

The penny trick works if there is real copper in the penny. David Schildknecht says he uses an old German pfennig, loaded with real copper. I suppose you could pick up a piece of copper at a hardware store.

The saran wrap trick has worked for me sometimes and sometimes not.

Even modern (post-1982) pennies are part copper… ca. 2% or more by weight, in the form of an electroplated coating – the copper is thus on the surface of the penny and available to react with other substances. (Until the surface copper has been used up reacting with other stuff. I’d guess that would be quite a few wine rescues later.)

But an old German Pfennig is much cooler.

Bringing a bottle (an aged bottle) to a wine dinner unopened is Russian roulette. Aside from the fact that your dinner is not likely to be long enough to allow the wine to get enough air in its lungs, the frustration and disappointment that can be easily avoided by popping it at home first are unnecessary.