TN: 2012 Melville Syrah Estate Verna's

• 2012 Melville Syrah Estate Verna’s - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (1/19/2017)
    Beautiful wine with savory character. Not Rhone by any means but love the bacon fat, dust, red currants and gravel elements. Medium finish and very youthful. This could age another 8 to 10 years but if you have several check it out now and see how it evolves. Much better than my 2015 experience. Can’t believe I only paid $22 for these. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I have always loved the Jaffurs’ rendition of Verna’s Syrah. Very underated, but I understand the '12 was the last vintage for Jaffurs. Drink 'em, if you can find 'em.

Hmm. Maybe some bottle variability. Bought a case after a similar first experience, but the rest of the bottles haven’t lived up to that initial experience.

Lot of things could go wrong. I have seen in the Twin Cities deliveries on 98 degree days and the truck is not temp controlled. I would also guess way to much wine is shipped to the states on less than ideal storage. Or could just be a bad batch. Return them if you can.

Yep, Vineyard was sold a few years back. The vineyard sits immediately across the street from the White Hawk Vineyard.

The reason Melville sold it, among others, was your point - at $22, they can’t make much, compared to their Sta. Rita Hills stuff . . .

Cheers.

Was at Jaffurs last fall and Verna’s was easily their best Syrah, but at $50 not a great QPR. I have 2011 waiting to be opened