1901 Burgundy - any thoughts?

This was posted on FB by a friend, a bottle someone shared with him. Some questions rose on FB as to this bottle, given the story and the labels. Anyone care to comment, thoughts? Here’s the given story.

I thought it odd that there was an importers government required slip label with what appears to be computer generated typeset (above the main label) on a bottle in the same cellar since 1964.

This was in the same cellar since 1964 and the buyer bought it from a CA winemaker whose father had purchased this [just after] Prohibition and the bottle never moved until it was executed, recently. So, yes, I am sure that Rudy was not involved and this was a pristine bottle that had remained in its OWC with 3 bottles remaining.
1901 Burg.jpeg

Fishier than a can of sardines.

The label is no doubt much later `cause it mentions the Appellation controlée (installed in/after 1936), so it could NOT have been purchased before that year, but probably later … during or after WWII …

This was in the same cellar since 1964 and the buyer bought it from a CA winemaker whose father had purchased this [just after] Prohibition and the bottle never moved until it was executed, recently.<<

If you haven´t stated this I would have though: released probably from a cellar reserve of the Domaine in the 60ies …

The Grand Cru Classé was always an (illegal) statement of the domaine …
Clos des Lambrays was elevated to Grand Cru only in 1981 … when already property of the Saier family …

Did the bar code on the back scan properly?

The labels look amazingly fresh and holds classification Grand Cru AC, as Gerhard says.
The slip label is also not very old, but could still be older than modern computer printers (Eighties ?).
If it is a very late release in the Sixties, Seventies or even newer, it can all make more sense.

I found this interesting pic. from Gaston & Sheehan Auctioneers. (Aug. 2015)
Same label designs, and the same(alarmingly fresher looking) slip labels. Not proving anything, just the same looks.
1970 cosson clos de lambrays.jpg
1970 cosson clos de lambrays close-up.jpg
Thanks for sharing the story.
Always fun to go historic.

Kind regards, Søren.

And from the same auction:
1981 Rousseau with the same slip label. Indicating the slip was used later than 1982… ?
1981 Rousseau CdlR.jpg
I do not have much personal experience with these slip labels, as it is mostly used in other countries.

Regards, Søren.

1901? Not ready yet. I am still drinking my way through my 1888s

Ha, but the 1904 Montrachets are peaking right now, so everybody, drink them up. [cheers.gif]

That’s labeling that would be added by a US importer (to include the auction house), so I wouldn’t read too much into that.

I wouldn’t doubt the authenticity of this bottle. These bottles usually sat in the cellars unlabeled until sold. I am guessing the label is from the 80s when a lot of older Burgundy hit the market. I have run into some old Cosson bottlings from the 60s (mainly Beaune wines I believe) and they were sturdy, authentic wines.

Not sure about the vintage, I believe 1900 was very good, never had anything from 1901.

True Scot, but the OPs 1901 bottle had a known provenance:
FB quote: “This was in the same cellar since 1964 and the buyer bought it from a CA winemaker whose father had purchased this [just after] Prohibition and the bottle never moved until it was executed, recently.”

-When was this US importer slip label attached to the bottle ?
-And why are the labels so pristine ?
The FB story is not logical.

Thomas’ Eighties labeling theory, sounds better, IMO.

-Søren.

Your surmise would be plausible except that, if you read the original post, this supposedly was bought right after Prohibition, which would mean the bottle was labeled by ~1933 or so. The bottom line: The story of the provenance is completely inconsistent with the condition of the label and the importer strip.

Thomas
According to the account, this was bought right after Prohibition ended. So right after 1933. So it would have been labeled then, some 82+ years ago. In the same cellar since 1964.

Why the modern and very clean white slip label?

The oldest Clos des Lambrays that I have drunk is the 1915.

The Corton Cuvée of the doctor Peste Hospices de Beaune Protheau 1953 is a real wonder. This wine sums up for me all that I love in Burgundy: vivacity, youth, well-controlled salinity and this approach takes a false seduction. It is accompanied by the Clos des Lambrays 1915 which appears in a bottle on which a former owner had stuck a naive plastic label which is engraved with a kind of pistol, while the small original label bearing “1915” is clearly legible. The wine is splendid. The year 1915 only made great wines, including the famous Nuits Cailles Morin which I never cease to compliment, and this Clos des Lambrays is of a passion that brings a striking demonstration to the remarks that I hold on the old wines . The votes will crown him in the best way possible (vote as first wine among 10). This wine is a demonstration of the know-how of the vignerons of the time, even if some of them were at the front. The rich taste of Burgundy is all expressed in this rich wine, long in mouth, great personality. The capon marvelously highlights these two high-quality wines.

concerning the 1901 the recoating of the bottle has not a great interest. I prefer the 1915 even in a bad presentation because it shows more how the bottle has lived.

There is no doubt about the authenticity of the 1901 for one reason : who would make a fake with such a vintage !

Because people buy old wine all the time simply because it’s old and rare. I’m amazed at how vintage often takes a back seat when it comes to very old wines.

What I find interesting is the neck label is very different in style (shape) on the 1915. One would think they would share a similar neck tag shape being from a similar era. Anyone know?

att. Andy and John. I read Thomas’ post as not defending the provenance (FB story) at all. Just the authenticity of the late bottling. Probably from the Eighties ?

François , I agree a lot. I love the original history.

Regards, Søren.

Andy,
You probably misinterpreted what I said.
I collect wines for more than 40 years. I have drunk only one bottle of 1901 and having drunk it, I have no more 1901 wine in my cellar.
It means (to me) that 1901 is a very confidential year, probably nearly entirely drunk (of course with a few exceptions).
In this context, if someone would like to make a fake, with the knowledge that he produces a label which cannot be considered as an original label because “Appellation Controlée” did not exist before 1936, he would never use a label indicating 1901. He would chose 1929 or 1934 because a significant number of wines of this year still exist.

But of course if he were smart, he would have thought : “as nobody would believe that a fake would be made with the year 1901, then, I will make it with 1901”. He would be very smart.

This is a delightful post, on many levels. Francois - come visit D.C.!

the first thing i thought when i saw the post on FB was, “wow, those labels are in better shape than my 2010 Lambrays labels.” made me second guess how i’m storing my wine…

looking forward to the discussion!

What if it was purchased in a large lot unlabeled? I agree it’s more than a bit strange. That label is not from the 1930s -