Shipping to Missouri (from retailers)?

Quick question: Does Missouri currently allow shipping from out of state retailers? My quick and cursory research on this subject was confusing. Asking for a friend wanting to source a few bottles.

Chris,

I’m not aware of anyone having had issues in the past, but this is a steadily moving target…

I live in MO and have never had a problem.

Thanks Jim and David! I’ll pass the info along.

I live in MO, and without getting into legality issues, most retailers ship here. Empire will not.

No issues here either.

I read an article online last year ranking MO as the BEST state into which to ship wine. Can’t remember where, though.

I just participated in the Hart Davis auction in Chicago this past Friday/Saturday, my third such time. Amongst other things, I picked up a case of '82 Les Forts OWC. I was a happy camper.
Today, upon speaking with the point person on my auction invoice and verifying that I wanted my purchase to stay on my VISA, she transferred me to Shipping. That’s when things got…interesting.
She asked if there was somewhere else I could have the wine shipped. Thinking she meant my office vs my home, I said yes, but it quickly became clear she meant another STATE. Now, I’m 15 miles from the IL border, but I don’t feel like I should need to do that (or for that matter pay the higher IL state tax). I’m already paying 19.5% buyers premium and am happy to pay for shipping, but that…is…quite…enough.
They’re “going to get back to me”, but color me concerned, especially because there was no mention of a new policy when I registered for this latest auction. I’ve googled around to see if there’s some new law, but as best I can tell, there isn’t one. I tend to doubt I’m the only person who participated in that auction, and that’s only the beginning.

I gave HDH a call today, and like Paul mentions, they are being a bit vague/evasive on what is going on. My state is still ok for shipping … but I think they need to get more clarity on their website so that people transact knowing the ground rules. I’ve been dealing with them for 20+ years so a little surprised…

“It remains illegal for out-of-state retailers to ship wine directly to consumers from any state other than reciprocal states per Section 311.462, RSMo.”

You can (mostly) thank Illinois for the problem. If Illinois allowed Missouri retailers to ship then MO would let IL ship into the state.

Liquor laws are a pain.

I would see about having it shipped to a FedEx/Kinkos on the east side.

"When the governor in IL signed a bill making it a FELONY for, out of state wine retailers to ship into the state of Illinois, the actual bill was 35 pages. Illinois wine retailers were prohibited from shipping out of the state of Illinois.

Namely, if an IL retailer is shipping to states that they are not legally allowed to ship to, their IL retail license can be revoked.

In addition, IL retailers are no longer allowed to sell wine that has not been purchased from an IL wholesaler.

A look at the Hart Davis Hart website should give out of state clients, cause for concern, as they appear to be no longer shipping to most states in the US."

Obviously, Illinois retailers CAN NOT ship to Missouri to be in compliance with this statute.

Does the Missouri statute address wine sales by auction houses?

Does the Illinois statute define “retailer” as also being an auction house.

It seems that US state no shipping law clearly violates the Clayton act and the Sherman Anti-Trust act of the United States, including fair trade and restraint of trade.

As NO SHIP states, with respect to wineries was in violation of the constitution, then clearly any OTHER shipper of wine clearly has the equivalent option!

What authority gives a state to not be in compliance with any/many US, federal laws?

Amendment 21:

Repeals the 18th Amendment and makes it a federal offense to transport or import intoxicating liquors into US states and territories where such transport or importation is prohibited by the laws of those states and territories.