TN: 2005 Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Don Melchor

• 2005 Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Don Melchor (Private Reserve) - Chile, Central Valley, Maipo Valley, Puente Alto (11/23/2009)
    Cocoa, coffee and some slight minty earth notes on the nose. Seems to be pretty tight on the palate and a lot of the Don Melchor I’ve been having lately has had a little bit of a vegetal green streak running through it that isn’t really appealing to me. I much preferred the 01-03 vintages of this wine over the 04-05 that I have had. Can’t say that I am overly impressed with this 05. It did improve a bit on the second night but not enough for me to be very excited about the other bottle I have. I’ll probably lose that one in the back of the cellar and see if I can try it again in about 5 or more years.

Posted from CellarTracker

Count me as a fan of the 2005. Yes, it can have a green streak, but to me it isn’t a negative. I will agree that '01 & '03 are far better wines.

thanks for the data point, rob. [basic-smile.gif]

I don’t recall that green streak in the 01 and 03 vintages. Perhaps that’s why I enjoyed them so much more.

Of course, it may integrate into the wine with time and improve the complexity. Only time will tell.

I think it will…at least I hope it will since I have a half case worth of magnums.

2005 Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Don Melchor - Chile, Maipo Valley, Puente Alto (7/5/2017)
– decanted 1.5 hours before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a few hours –
– 97% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Cabernet Franc –

NOSE: ripe fruit aromas — more red-fruited than purple-fruited, but it is a mix of the two; a bit sweet; medium sweet oak note.

BODY: some sediment; dark blood red color of great depth with a hint of bricking throughout; medium-full bodied.

TASTE: ripe; oaky; medium-low acidity; soft tannins; non-descript and a bit lush; lacks energy; hint of smoky leather after some time in the glass; maybe better in 5 years?; when paired with steak and a caramelized onion risotto: smoky coffee note emerges; much better with food than without; with the food, this actually turns into an impressive wine — one that I dare say is a poor man’s LLC. gut impression scores: without food: high 80’s; with food: low 90’s. Because this is still mostly primary, and because of the impressive presentation with food, this continues to be a wine that I should Hold.

Are these worth the $$$ ?

Never nibbled at them.

I have not tasted the “Don Melchor”, yet the recent vintages of the Concha y Toro “Marques de Casa Concha” have been more and more lightly crafted/stylized.

Here’s a cool video of Marcelo Papa discussing soils:

http://www.wineandspiritsmagazine.com/video/entry/a-tasting-of-cabernet-from-alluvial-soils-with-marcelo-papa

Tonight with grilled tri tip…if I can find it in the cellar.