TNR: 2013 Spottswoode Cabernet Sauvignon Estate

I bought a couple of these and I’m thinking about getting a few more based on the strength of the vintage and the professional critiques. Has anyone had a chance to try it? Is it really an exceptional Napa Cabernet? Thanks.

I haven’t however a review of the notes on CT are mostly very positive and indicate (like many 2013 CA Cabs) there is tremendous aging potential.

I’ve had it and enjoyed it greatly.

I thought it was a little like Quivet Kenefick Ranch cab, but less fruit forward and a bit more “structured” or “integrated” a this stage.

It’s a year-in, year-out favorite for me. I had a half-glass encounter from a bottle open an hour or so that would make me want more, but not want to open my own for a decade. But that’s also pretty standard for this wine for me - my most recent example beforehand was the 05 earlier in 2016 - great wine, but still no rush needed.

I think this is one of the best Spottswoodes made to date. But it has shut down hard in the last year and I would strongly recommend not opening one just yet. Even the more accessible second wine needs a decant to pop.

I just opened one… shutdown is part of it. I also think they picked too early. I double-checked the alcohol levels compared to past vintages (you have to look at the images on CT) and they’ve been steadily going down. Looks like the AFWE virus is spreading, and that sort of thing is absolutely not in my wheelhouse with Napa Cab. If 2014 continues the trend I’m out at a price point approaching $200.

Was there anything in the wine itself that made you think they picked too early?

I’ve heard Spottswoode Cabernet referred to as the ‘Margaux’ of Napa. Perhaps a less ripe style is why.

Seemed overly tannic and the fruit was more reticent than in previous vintages (and I’ve opened many in the first year). I’ve never had a Napa Cab shut down so thoroughly this early, so I don’t think that’s the whole story. I know alcohol level is an imperfect proxy for ripeness in general but in the same wine from the same producer over years it’s as good a measure as any. If they want to go the Dunn/MacDonald/Corison route that’s their choice, but it’s not for me. In fact I think I’ll move my dollars into buying more VHR this year, the 2010 I opened recently was my first personal 100-point wine.

This is a fascinating discussion!

Perfectly in the wheelhouse for how palates/preferences can differ!

What you don’t like about it is what I like about it.

I mean no disagreement, just a fun aspect of the hobby.

Cheers to all. [cheers.gif]

We visited Spottswoode two years ago and tasted with Aron, who I recall was relatively new at the time. We were tasting the 2011s, which I found to be on the more restrained, elegant, less ripe side. I thought this was due to the vintage, but when I asked Aron about the 2012s, he said the 2011 showed the style he was trying to achieve and he seemed to downplay the 2012. Having had both, I prefer the 2012 because it’s on the more opulent, richer side, although I wouldn’t say the '11 is only fit for the AFWE. I didn’t buy the '13, not so much because of the style, but more debating the quantity, and now it looks like it’s too late as the winery says it’s sold out. First vintage since 1983 that I didn’t purchase direct …

Thanks for the background… looks like there is a new winemaker with an agenda. I’ll have no regrets upping my VHR/Myriad purchases this spring.