TN: 2015 Dönnhoff Hermannshöhle Riesling -GG-

[/list]

2015 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Nahe (1/15/2017)

Quite youthful on the nose with powerful citrus. The flavor profile is intense and delicious with concentrated citrus and some wet stones and vibrant, salty acidity shining through on the very long finish. - Will be an incredible wine !! …

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the quick check-in. The 12’s still need a little more time in my thoughts…so I’ll be resting the few bottles of this I was able to snag for quite some time. How would you compare this to other vintages of this GG that you’ve had?

… I’m not familiar with the GGs from Dönnhoff and vintages in Germany, the 2015 Dönnhoff Hermannshöhle GG had hugely intense, rich fullness of citrus flavour …

thanks for taking one for the team :smiley: Only have 2 of these

Yes, thank you…I only snagged four and they go fast in this house when the sushi orders start hitting on Friday nights.

How do folks think of the differences between this wine and the Norheimer Dellchen GG?

Rich, I tasted them side by side at the winery in September. In this vintage they are both exceptional. I think the HH has a touch of tropical fruit and more richness, which is very well balanced by salinity and the acidity, which made it almost weightless. Amazingly long finish all on lemon notes. You get a glimpse into a huge potential, which at the moment is hidden under the impression of lightness and playfulness. The Dellchen is flavorwise less clearly on the fruit: I found a touch of rhubarb (~ a bittersweet note) and some spiciness in it. The finish was wonderfully lively and very long too.

In this vintage they also made a Oberhauser Bruecke GG (auction wine) which was also beautiful: more direct, lighter and all on citrus fruit.

Thats a waste of great OB fruit in my opinion :slight_smile:

Thank you Gilberto, very helpful!

This year Fisch and Rayer of Mosel Fine Wines have reviewed also non-Mosel dry Rieslings. You may find them in Issue N. 32:

if you cannot download the issues directly it’s enough to write them an email or subscribe and you get them for free. For what is worth they ranked the Oberhauser on top, then the Dellchen and then the HH together with the Felsenberg. I find their description of the wines quite accurate. Ranking is a matter of preference of course.

That’s only because you haven’t tried it! I think it’s one of the best dry wines made in 2015.