New Costco Stems by Riedel

Strolling the aisles today a something caught my eye on the end cap. Went back to investigate. An $18 Kirkland Signature branded box with 8 wine stems “Made in Germany by Riedel Glassworks”. Further statements on the box: “Break resistant lead free crystal”, “dishwasher safe”, “25 oz” and “ideal for red or white wine”. Shaped like typical cab glasses. Looked very nice. Didnt pull the trigger today but probably will. Had me thinking about their new golf ball with the Pro V1 like specs. LOVE Costco. Not really good posting pics but will try later.

Pls post a pic…dont see these online.

If that’s $18 for 8 glasses, instead of $18 per glass in an 8 pack, I would have bought the 8 pack, taken them home, used and abused them to check them out. We pay double that for restaurant Riedels. Of course, the restaurant series can be used for a hammer if necessary.

Picked some up for a large dinner party and they performed well. Was on sale for $15 so less than $2/glass. Ever so slightly thicker than my other riedel stems but only noticeable when side-by-side. Seems too good to be true.

Are these basically the restaurant series?

Might these be the glasses?

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/kirkland-signature-by-riedel-glassworks-crystal-wine-glasses-set-of-8-1040005

These stems really accentuate the terroir in Kirkland Signature wines as well, as they were specially designed for that.

If these were 21-22oz I’d grab some.

Available in the USA?

These stems really accentuate the terroir in Kirkland Signature wines as well

I though that the whole point of Reidel is that terroir is irrelevant. It’s all about the grape.

But I think they are on to something.

Specific stems for specific grapes regardless of source? Sure.

So why not specific stems for specific stores regardless of grape? Turn the equation around!

Can you imagine the possibilities? If you bought a wine from say, K&L, but then it found its way to a Hart Davis Hart auction, you’d have the possibility of using a stem for the grape, for K&L, and for HDH. Three glasses for a single wine!

Start ordering extra cupboards.

Looks like they are having an each way bet here…

http://www.riedel.com/restaurant/collection/d/extreme-restaurant/central-otago-pinot-noir/

Yes. USA. I did not see them online either. I am in PA and imy sleepy little Costco does not normally have the selection of bigger, more metropolitan ones within a 75 mile radius so I would assume that they would be found at least all over the northeast/mid-Atlantic region? Still on my phone but will attempt to post pictures later this morning. They did feel a little thicker but I have never seen anything that nice at that price point. I would put them in my dishwasher in 2 seconds EXCEPT they would never fit height wise on my top rack.

99% certain that the pictures from the UK Costco website depict the same stems.

They used to sell Schlott Zweisel and when they stopped I complained because I was about to buy 10 boxes for an event. They told me they had something in the works but would not give details. This must be it. If they are as good as the Schlott Zweisel, they are a great deal. Those were a bit heavy, but still very nice.

No it’s not about Terroir, it’s about marketing.

Indeed! And if what Paul found is a harbinger of things to come, there’s a lot more marketing coming up. Ultimately they could certify selected wines as preferred matches for the various glasses. Then people could buy with confidence.

All that aside, if the glasses are a good deal at Costco, and if I needed some more glasses, I’d probably pick them up, whatever the manufacturer.

Went in to the COSTCO in Harrisonburg VA this AM. There they were. Will try them out to see if they survive. They look good.

I may buy a box or two and leave them stealthily on the front porch of some good friends who, ehem, need decent stemware. “Aren’t these multi-colored goblets pretty? And they make great paperweights too!”

I second the gifting idea - it’s a gift that gives AND pays big dividends. Would have been good gifts for last month. I did not see these at my Costco last week so I may have to poke them.

+3 I just picked up a box of them and it’s tough to go wrong for the price. My daughter just moved out after buying a house and these may be added to the house warming items. The glass is pretty thick and feel almost like there is some sort of coating on them to help make them break resistant, not sure though. Pretty similar to the restaurant line, Hey for $2.25/stem it’s tough to beat.