For Sure My Best Carlisle Ever...TN: 2014 Carlisle Zinfandel Pagani Ranch Sonoma Valley

My god, a wine has not fired me up like this one has in a very long time. I pulled this last night, to take to XMAS eve dinner at my daughter/SILs home and it didn’t get finished. It left a solid impression on me last night and I took the last 1/3rd of the bottle home. Retried it this afternoon, with a clean palate, no food with it, just sitting here in the quiet of XMA afternoon and what a beauty of a wine this is in the glass. I taste and write up a lot of wines, it’s what I love to do. Yet, a wine of this class and expression has not crossed my palate in a very long time. If you got one, open a bottle and see what you think. I’ve had a # of really good Carlisle over the years, like the 2007 RRV syrah that I have gone through a case of, as well as the 2011 Papera but by god, this 2014 Pagani stands the test. Awesome. Thanks for reading and Happy Holidays.

• 2014 Carlisle Zinfandel Pagani Ranch Sonoma Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (12/25/2016)
    I’m now converted to how good Pagani Ranch is for Mike’s touch. Some spice and creamy fruit in the aromatic. The core of the wine is what really gives me a big smile–a mix of boysen jam and blue fruit, along with licorice and a finishing note of blue fruited acid. This was simply dynamite for Day 1…and on Day 2, just as good. Blue fruited, juicy, with a dried red berry character, lovely acidity, some light grip and what is a bitchen loamy, soily note in the finish. Labeled at 14.6%, and no trace of heat in this wine that I can find, making it even better. Just a fantastic bottle of Zin, with many years left, medium weight and one I believe is gonna age into something special in the next 3-4 years. One of the best red wines from CA I have had in a long while, and to say it one step further, and having been on Mike’s mailing list since 2002, this is the best Carlisle Zins I have ever had from Mike’s craft. Beautiful.

Posted from CellarTracker

Very cool. I really appreciate the unbridled enthusiasm for a young wine. I feel like we can all fall into the trap of “this needs x years” but often these great wines shine from the start–sounds like this one did.

Thanks for the note Frank, I have 3 in the cellar will pop one soon.

We just returned from my parent’s house for Xmas dinner. I was the DD. My wife is taking care of the rest of the 2003 Ridge Monte Bello and I just popped the 2014 Carlisle Pagani. Love it! Frank’s note is right on the money. What a wonderful wine! There is absolutely no trace of heat on this wine, with an abundance of dark fruit and a hint of mint on the finish.

Thanks,
Ed

Thank you for posting this, Frank! I tend to work my way through my stash of Carlisle zins 1-2 vintages at a time, and with the single vineyard wines, generally with about 5 years of age. I’ve checked on on some youthful appellation zins from Mike, and they’ve always been great, but I don’t think I’ve had such a young single vineyard Carlisle in many, many years. Have a couple of these and I will make a point of trying one in the relative short term.

Adding my thanks here as well. ALMOST opened this last night for our Christmas lineup of wines. Considered it. Pulled it out. And put it back, opting for a Bedrock Heritage blend of Zins instead. Needed something lighter in the spot, so went away from this Paganini. I only have one bottle unfortunately, excited to try it now!

I assume Paganini was autocorrect, but it’s fun either way.

Big words from The Roman Numeral about this Carlisle. I can’t wait to try one.

When I wrote the TN and posted the topic, I did pause, as I want to spend the ‘best ever’ card sparingly but it truly was this kind of wine. When Paul and Ashley were here last night, I saved them the last glass and they too were smitten with it. Counselor, open one and see what you think. You know these wines well so I’d appreciate seeing what you think, too.

I would be hard pressed to pick my favorite Carlisle zin of all time as so many of them have been great. For me the 2012 Papera would be right up there as one of the best. I’ll have to try a 2014 Pagani based on Frank’s high praise.

Sounds like another winner. Opened a 2012 Saitone Ranch Zin last week and it made it into the WOTY listings for me, as did the 2011. I think Carlisle might be the only winery with a double entry this year.

Edit–it’s not, but it’s sharing that title with D’Yquem, so not in the worst company :slight_smile:

Mike

Apologies for the thread drift, but I opened an '11 Saitone zin last night (second bottle I have had in the last 6 months) and it was very very good.

Any vintage of Papera hits my sweet spot, had the 2011 last night and it was singing.

I popped an '11 Saitone on Christmas, did you get a spritz from it? I had to give the bottle a good Molly Dooker Shake to rid it of the CO2. Edit: it was a Bedrock, oops drift.

I consider the Carlisle 2012 Saitone Vineyard Zinfandel my favorite of the wines I have tasted from Mr Officer as well!

Frank great notes. Am I also impressed with 2014 as another great zinfandel year? Must track this one down.

Hmm, only got 2, so was planning on letting them develop a bit. But I might have to break into one sooner. I remember talking to Mike about Pagani years ago, lamenting the fact that St Francis was getting all that beautiful Pagani fruit, then clobbering it with oak, and wondering what Mike could do with it. Well, now we know!

I’m in the same boat as you. I only have two, and I wasn’t planning on popping one any time soon… until this thread started.

I had a 2014 Carlisle Zinfandel Montafi Ranch this summer and it made me pause. The more I paused, the more I was knocked out by it. One of my WOTY. Having had a few other 2014’s tell me it is a very good vintage from Mike. I have little experience with Carlisle, but have been on their mailing list for 2 years now and only wish it has been longer.

Thanks for the note Frank and all that you do for the community!
Happy New Year

Just curious if anyone has had the 2013 or 2014 Ridge Pagani? How does Pagani Vineyard divy out the fruit to the different winemakers.