TN: 2001 Dujac Clos de la Roche

for me, this is the quintessential Dujac wine that epitomizes a lot about Burgundy and about Dujac, great ambassadors or stewards of Burgundy terroir. The wine is deeper in color than “typical” Dujac wines that are often light in color but thick with nuanced bouquets and flavors. The wine is young, not at all tertiary, fruit bright and layered, very fresh. I confuse Chambolle and Vosne and the spices in this wine make me think of Vosne. Dark cherries, smoke, spices and more spices, just a very complete red Burgundy that will improve for another decade or more and last far longer, and I like it very much. Near head-spinning.

Had one last year and enjoyed it as much as you did.

I also felt there was room for growth.

Thanks for the excellent note.

Great note, Alan. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Alan. Has been a great wine since release.

Best Regards
Jeremy

Except 3 yrs ago when it was a bit betwixt and in between! Recent CS Denis was very good too.

A terrific wine. Seems to be getting better and better.

Nice note on a nice wine, Alan. The 2000 Dujac CdR is also a stunner, and might even be drinking better than the '01 at the moment.

Both the 00 Cdlr and Csd are fully resolved and so elegant right now. I think they are at peak. Not sure they will continue to improve while the 01 seems like it will.

FWIW, a 2001 Xmas red:

Robert Chevillon NSG “Les Roncieres” 2001—
Lovely nose of red fruits. Really good seve. A zippy acidity is still a little dominant; tannins still noticeable. Maturing but needs a full 20. Also, a little mustiness even moldiness in the mix. After two days in bottle , after cleaning and a brief aeration, the wine is singing. Delicious red fruits; plenty of zip. Just a wee bit hollow on the finish to be a great vintage of this wine.

Any recent experience with the MSD 1er cru 2000 of Dujac?

And CdlR 2002?

Alan,
Thanks for the great note. I also love the 01 Dujac line up.

Gilberto, I’ve not drunk the '00 MSD 1er in years, but my sense is that all of the '00 Dujac’s are in a very good spot. I have a lone bottle of Bonnes Mares I’m holding for a few more years, but am otherwise consuming them. And I’ve not drunk the '02 CdR, but have had the MSD, Gevrey Combottes, and Clos St Denis in the past year. All show well with air, with the 1er and grand cru needing few years to really be singing.

great note Alan
I opened this for a friend and suddenly understood Dujac

Thanks, Andy. Popping the single bottle MSD 1er is indeed planned. The CdlR 2002 will probably wait a little longer…

Thanks for the reco, a bottle of this just showed up today along with some '02 Boillot Genevrieres that’s a bit more of a gamble.

Pop and pour, decant, or Audouze, Alan?

I did P&P but recently have had success w old wines doing an Audouze (53).

Had the 2000 1er in July and it showed beautifully. I would drink these now and over the next year or two.

Does anyone have recent experience with the '01 Clos St Denis? I have a couple of bottles and am wondering if it’s time to pull a cork.

01 CSD was one of my favorites in a multi-vintage dujac lineup.

It needs some air to really shine.

I missed this reply - thanks for info, Fred. Based on this I’ll hold for a while longer.