Mostly Riesling, A Couple Gewurz (Prüm, Merkelbach, Dönnhoff, etc.)

• 1996 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (12/5/2016)
    Medium yellow color with yellow fruits and white flowers on the nose. The palate is a bit creamy with lemon curd, smoke and yellow apples. There’s just enough sweetness to keep the electric spine of acid from becoming unruly. Make no mistake though, this is not sweet by conventional standards and registers more like a Kabinett feinherb than a Spät.

The small amount that was left overnight was even more delicious on day 2; no rush to drink. (94 pts.)

• 1999 Dönnhoff Norheimer Dellchen Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Nahe (12/5/2016)
    Medium yellow with a floral nose. Flavors of pear and moss with just a tinge of green fruits to add some complexity. Nice acidity and light on the palate, the only negative was a somewhat clipped finish. Still, one of the finest Kabinetts that I have tasted (admittedly I have not tasted many well aged Kabinetts). My sense is that the wine should be consumed by the end of the decade. 10%abv, (92 pts.)
  • 2010 Alfred Merkelbach Erdener Treppchen Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (12/5/2016)
    Medium yellow with a tropical nose. Great acidity with the pronounced flavor of passion fruit. There’s a slight bit of spritz on the concentrated palate. The acidity brings the wine slightly out of balance but this is still delicious and finishes long. (91 pts.)
  • 1999 Dönnhoff Schloßböckelheimer Kupfergrube Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe (12/5/2016)
    Yellow orchard fruits and slightly musky. Palate is creamy, which is accentuated by the low acidity. I thought the sweetness was more akin to a Kabinett. While I enjoyed this wine, it got lost in the shuffle a bit. I tend to think that it is a bit past its peak. Drink now. (89 pts.)
  • 2010 Domaine Bruno Sorg Gewurztraminer - France, Alsace (12/5/2016)
    The nose on this wine smells like an English grandmother’s perfume that she received as a gift 12 years ago but she doesn’t wear it all the time because she doesn’t want it to go to waste. Nonetheless, it’s not altogether unpleasant, just lots and lots of flowers that are not quite fresh. Unfortunately, the wine tastes like grandma’s perfume too; white flowers and rosewater – a bit like liquefied Turkish delight – and slightly alcoholic without being hot. The flowers seemed extra stale on the finish. (70 pts.)
  • 1998 Alfred Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (12/5/2016)
    Pale colored with faint flavors of Asian pear and lime; lacks concentration. The sweetness is nearly imperceptible, but the acidity is prominent and it’s lightweight on the palate. Enjoyable, but if my bottle was representative, it’s probably best to consume soon
  • 1998 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Heimbourg Vendange Tardive - France, Alsace (12/5/2016)
    Color of med+ amber with a nose of spices laced with honey. Flavors generally followed the nose with an abundance of spice, honey and florals. Extremely intense/concentrated with a thick mouthfeel. With some air, the wine smoothed out a bit and the intensity seemed to recede a couple notches; however, even dialed down it was still a bit too much of everything for me.

I realize that I’m just not a Gewurz guy and I don’t think I can give a fair rating.

• 2009 David Ermel Riesling Rosacker - France, Alsace, Alsace Grand Cru (12/5/2016)
    Pale white with a musky nose. The palate tasted like rotting tart pineapple. While that descriptor might be unpleasant, the taste was even more unpleasant. Was told that the cork (which I didn’t see) was plastic, which might explain the taint. Accordingly will rate as flawed. NR (flawed)

Posted from CellarTracker

Gewürztraminer is indeed pretty terrible.

Some very nice wines there – 96 Prüm WS Spätlese is an awesome wine. Never understood why people hate on the vintage so much.

People hate on 96 Prums? Not the aficionados I know.

I have had several 1996 JJPrum WS Kabinett and Spatlese
All have been extraordinary great with well balanced acidity.
One of the best vintages between 1990 and 1999

If the smell doesn’t kill you, the taste surely will.

The Z-H wasn’t too bad really, but it was too big and powerful for my tastes.

If you can find one, try a Kitterlé '12 Gewürz from Dirler Cadé.
Or a Sonnenglanz '08 from Bott Geyl.
Then, if you say that you don’t like Gewürz, fine.
But it can be incredible, and doesn’t have to be overblown.