BoordyVnyd Wines???

Saw a reference today in DaveMcIntyre’s article to BoordyVnyds. Now there’s a name I’d not heard of in yrs & yrs.
It was founded way back when by PhilipWagner, who was a strong proponent of French/American hybrids.
I had a few way back in the '70’s and found them rather unthrilling.

Any of you Maryland folks (or Kansas folks, for that matter) had the Boordy wines of late and can tell
me anything about them??

Tom

Visited once, years ago, and it seemed all they were pushing were “fruit” wines so we passed on them. Have heard recently that they are producing more traditional wines but have yet to try them. FWIW their tasting room, I believe, is very close to one of the better MD wineries i.e Black Ankle. Will stop in next time we visit Black Ankle.

Cheers,
Curt

I haven’t tried the wines but a few years back I went to a grape growing seminar and met their vineyard manager. At that time Boordy was doing a lot of work in their vineyard with varieties, trellis methods and if I remember correct rootstocks as well. It seemed to me that they were really looking to change from their old reputation into one of the quality leaders in the state. I’ve read a few things that indicates they have done so but have yet to taste for myself.

Would that have been LucieMorton, Brian?? She’s their vnyd consultant & very knowledgeable from the one time I met her.
Tom

No, not Lucie. I haven’t yet had the chance to meet her but hope to someday. She’s been involved with a lot of wineries in the area. The person I met was the full time vineyard manager. A younger male whose name I don’t remember.

They are often at my local farmers’ market and I taste from time to time, but have never been inspired to buy anything other than a bottle or two of their rose. The winemaking is solid, but is a little too fruit forward for my taste. Like much of MD/VA wine, the QPR stinks.

ETA - I’ll try to make more of an effort to take notes the next time they are at the market.