Bedrock vs. Carlisle - 2011 Saitone Zin

I thought it would be interesting to drink these side-by-side to get a comparison. Both bottles were decanted 3 hours before serving. I’ve seen quite a bit of praise on this forum for this wine and I have to admit, the Saitone isn’t my favorite Zin from these two producers. The Bedrock was slightly darker and a bit richer and it was throwing quite a bit of sediment as compared to the Carlisle. Both bottles presented carbon copy aromatics and palates. The nose shows a brambly raspberry with a bit of licorice and spice. The palate really followed the nose fairly accurately but the flavors are a bit more reserved. The dominate trait is the core acidity that the flavors are wrapped around. I think the competition was a tie.

It would be interesting to throw Papera in there as well since it’s right next door, but I don’t believe these were originally the same vineyard. Varietal makeup is different.

FWIW, I agree about Saitone. IIRC Bedrock isn’t making it anymore; not sure about Carlisle.

Larry,
I thought Saitone was over on LimerickLane just before you get to LimerickLaneVnyd/Wnry, over on the right??
Tom

I thought the Saitone Vineyard was over on Olivet?

Yup…you’re right, Tom. DeLoach used to make Zin from Saitone. I was thinking of SodiniVnyd. Brain fart; it happens.
Tom

Yes, you guys beat me to it. Sodini is on Limerick Lane, I’m sure what you were thinking of.

Papera / Montafi / Piner / Sodini / Barbieri (RIP). We should come up with a pneumonic.

I love Carlisle Saitone. A great change up.

The Carlisle 2012 Saitone Vineyard Zinfandel remains one of my favorite Zins these days. Truly a sexy wine!

Thanks for offering the comparison notes, Scott!
Olivet.jpg

I got it in my head that Sodini, not Saitone was one of the “Tom Feeney” and previously DeLoach vineyards, but looking at the map jogged my mistaken brain into gear–neither “S” vineyard was in that group-- Papera / Montafi / Piner / Baldacci / Barbieri (RIP).