TN: Cantermerle 1955, Figeac 1959, Tremblay Chapelle 2008

Big week, as Friday was our annual OTT lunch, which I will try and write up later. A wine merchant friend came in from England for the lunch and we met for dinner the night before. We shared the Cantermerle, which was showing beautifully, still with plenty of fruit, licorice and violets. Long finish.

Lunch with friends on the Saturday included the Girardin Corton Charlemagne Quintessence 2002 in one of those horrible heavy bottles. Wine was excellent though, if slightly New World. The Figeac had unfortunately peaked and was dying. It smelled of the corridors in an old people’s apartment building. The Tremblay was the replacement, and was yanked from the cellar unceremoniously. It took a good deal of time to open, but this is glorious is stuff, still very primary showing roses, raspberries, spice and grilling meat. What made it exciting was the late release a core of pure fruit into the mid palate. A lovely fine layered finish. Opened far too young, needs fifteen years, but we we were curious and lucky enough not to encounter the dourness of an adolescent.

Good to hear the blackbird was singing so fine.
Sad about the old corridors (I know that smell all too well) in the Figeac.

-Søren.

Thanks for the notes Mark. I am a big fan of Cecile Tremblay’s wines.

Nice notes. Pity about the Figeac, as that can be a lovely wine.

Cecile’s 08s are fabulous too. While she was good from the start, 2008 marked a step up to my mind.