Who Makes The Best $15-$25 and $25-$40 CA Merlot?

From Who Makes The Best Merlot In California? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Since Jim is so very interested in this category neener I started a new thread for him. And since I like the idea of high quality CA merlot that won’t break the bank, I’m genuinely curious.

So does anyone have any good recs?

Fyi, WA merlot doesn’t count :wink:

Ridge

My answer in the $25-40 category is actually the same as for the overall: Korbin Kameron and Calluna.

Thx guys.

Unfortunately, I never see Ridge Merlot on the shelves anywhere. I’ll have to investigate the Korbin Kameron and Calluna.

My go-to used to be Havens. You also used to find Paradigm for under $40, that seems to be no longer, same with Ehlers Estate.

Ridge, Keenan and Rafanelli are our favorites in the $25-40 range. Markham Merlot is usually a crowd-pleaser in the $15-$25 range.

Thanks,
Ed

$15-$25 range: Pedroncelli? Their wines are pretty classically-styled and always deliver for the $$.

Good call on Keenan, very nice stuff, just wish I had the patience to age them as they always seem so wound up. Would love to try a Rafanelli Merlot, I didn;t even know they made one.

Kyle, I’ll keep an eye out for Pedroncelli, thx. I’ve always thought of their Zins as being one of the more unheralded QPR selections available.

I’ll second Calluna.

We recently had a 2012 Clos du Bois Sonoma Reserve Merlot Alexander Valley. Really pretty wine for under $20. Probable not complex enough to interest hard core enthusiasts.

This is a slightly different take on a response, but if you look in auctions like Winebid, good quality (but not collector’s item type) California merlot from back vintages is often a steal. You can find mature examples from good vintages for less, or sometimes considerably less, than the retail for new bottles.

Swanson Vineyards Merlot was always a good value. Looks like it may be slightly over $25 now.

I’d forgotten about Rafanelli in the other topic. We used to visit there regularly and I recall first trying the Merlot more than 10 years ago. Apparently Shelly, Dave and Patty’s daughter, talked them into letting her make it soon after she began working there regularly. I think she’s nowvthe official winemaker. The Merlot’s killer!!!

Again a big thumbs up to the original Havens…for me nothing is close

Mike is back as Cave Dog…never tasted the new label but I heard he was able to procure some of his old grape sources.