TN: Forlorn-Hope QueSaudade Verdelho '15....(short/boring)

Tried this last night w/ leftovers:

1. Forlorn-Hope Que Saudade Verdelho Calif (12.78%; 367 cs; Estate/Calaveras + DeWitt/Amador + VistaLane/Lodi;
    12 mo. in neutral 500 litre puncheons + SS) Murphys 2015
    : Pale yellow color rather cloufy/hazy; some light floral/Verdelho bit chalky/perfumed talc rather light/delicate nose; lightly tart/tangy/metallic no frizzante or dissolved CO2 obvious; light floral/Verdlho slight chalky/perfumed talc/stony delicate almost eviscerated flavor; med.short lightly tart/metallic/tangy light floral/Verdelho bit stony/perfumed talk rather delicate/eviscerated finish; very delicate/light white bordering on vapid; the next day at room temperature, it seemed quite soft & vapid. $26.00

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. This is one seriously bizarre wine. When I pulled the cork, there was no obvious “pop” that you get from a white “refreshed” w/ CO2.There was no obvious out-gassing as the wine set in the btl. When I poured the first glass, there were a lot of tiny bubbles flowing down in the wine & collecting at the btl/wine interface in a ring around the outside. When you swirled the btl around & around vigorously standing upright, there was a release of very tiny bubbles that collected in a disk in the center of the vortex of the swirling wine. This disk would regularly unleash fingers that made the pattern look like the AndromedaGalaxy. These fingers would sometimes release and hook up w/ the ring of bubbles at the wine/btl interface, sometimes retract back into forming a circular disk. And just below the surface of the wine in the btl, there would appear a slimy flocculant rope of white cloudiness.
    I spent (wasted) almost 30 minutes totally mesmerized by these patterns on the surface of the wine when I swirled. After about several minutes of this disk swirling in the gentle vortex of the wine, it would spread out and attach itself to the ring of tiny bubbles at the wine/btl interface. And then I take a swallow from the glass and go back and swirl the btl again. Sorry I am such a doofus…so mesmerized that I forgot to take a video w/ my iPhone. Next btl.
    As a student of chaos theory, the pattern in Matt’s wine were visually stunning. Clearly these are fractals and can be absolutely beautiful. See Pickover’s book:
    PickoverFractals
    to see some of these beautiful fractal patterns.
    The wine clearly has some issue with CO2. Yet there was no obvious (to me) CO2 on the palate. No continual release of CO2 bubbles. The bubbles were very tiny, about the size of those in a sparkling wine, but only released when you’d agitate the wine. Truly bizarre.
    The wine is not a bad wine. I just wish it had a bit more impact on the nose and the palate. Though not on the eviscerated side as you’d get from grapes harvested too early, it was very delicate and pushing the envelope into vapid territory. Look forward to see what happens in 6 mo. and going back to try an earlier version.
    As a kid (not so long ago), my Mom would scold me if I played w/ my food. Were she here last night, I’m certain she would soundly scold me for playing w/ my wine.
    Tom

Um… Thanks? :astonished:

I am glad that the wine gave you some pleasure, Tom, even if it was only on a visual plane. :slight_smile:

The winemaker poured either this or something similar a couple of weeks ago in Big Sur and said it was not the typical verdelho pronounced vayr DAY you or vayr DAY ho, rather, it was a different variety grown only in the Portuguese hills pronounced vayr DELL oh. I had no idea what he was talking about and I’m pretry sure I heard it accurately.

There is a Spanish white grape called Verdejo - perhaps that is what he was referring to.

Ok Ken that explains it thanks. I now think he was saying this is not Verdejo it’s Verdelho. I saw the label it was the latter.