TN: 2011 Matello Pinot Noir Durant (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills)

• 2011 Matello Pinot Noir Durant - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (11/24/2016)
    Light garnet with what can only be described as a light floral pinot nose so distinctive of the grape. Dry with light acid, fruit and tannins. Earthy and mineral, restrained light strawberries with a hint of lemons. Well integrated tart tannins compliment the fruit. Drinking nicely now for those liking an acid focus… (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Great note. Drank this bottle on Thanksgiving 2013 and it blew my mind. I’ve been sitting on my bottles, but am tempted to crack one soon based on your note.

Post the note in the charity thread sticky. Good karma.

BE PATIENT on these :slight_smile:

I just opened a 2007 WV Matello and what a fantastic wine. I suspect 3 or so years ago, it was a little more closed down, not as expressive and didn’t have as much body.

The '11s are going to be like those '07s I think so hold some for another 5 years and you won’t regret it.

I opened 3 Syrahs, 1 Zin and the PN for myself, There was barely enough for a TN after diner was over. [cheers.gif]

I have a few of the Goodfellow '13 Durants - any idea how those would compare to the '07 or ‘11? I’d imagine they’all track pretty closely but my only taste so far was this past summer at Marcus’ winery in McMinnville. Likely will be sitting on these and the '13 Richard’s Cuvée Chards for a while.

Nice. Seems like the 2011 Dundee Hills wines have a nice profile.

Jason

+1

I agree this will only get better. I read some note where one person loved it and another thought it was waste of money. I just needed to try an upscale Matello. I’m trying to save the '11s, but curiosity got the better and I really wanted to drink an austere PN. [cheers.gif]

I agree! I think Marcus’ wines need time. I had the '07 Matello WV with a stuffed pork chop. It was amazingly good for an entry level wine in a cool/wet year. It had equal elements of cherry/red fruit, a savory element, and a nice spine of acid which kept the wine fresh. I also tasted the '06 Winter’s Hill last year. This wine was a revelation of what his wines can do with age even in a hot year.

Among other AVAs. The thermostat got turned up for the next 5 vintages. Many 11s are quite structured (not just from Marcus) so I’ve been keeping my hands off. Looking forward to them coming around…hopefully in 3 - 5 years.

RT

That said, I had a 2011 Walter Scott La Combe Vert two nights ago that was perfect. Juicy delicious wine with just the right amount of restraint.

Marcus, please find a cool vintage soon…so I can start popping more 2007s, 2010s and 2011s without worrying about restocking!

RT

Richard – I have your solution. Open one of your 14’s, dump out 1/2 the bottle and fill it with 1 part water and 1 part vinegar. Problem solved.

Don’t forget a pinch of dried porcini, a finely ground piece of dried deciduous leaf and a light sprinkle of humus rich loam. [cheers.gif]

RT

Any fecal matter in that blend?

Only if it’d make you happy Ron. Not sure if OR vintners are still dragging wheeled chicken coops around their vineyards, but it seemed like a trend a few years ago.

RT

I remember hearing about that. I thought it was JP trying to get more nitrogen into the soil, and remember someone smart explaining how nitrogen deprived yeast can lead to funky flavors (Cameron funk?) and stuck fermentations.

edit: just found that discussion http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1395985#p1395985

People seem to skip over the '13s. Those wines are very cool in their own way too. They’re more accessible now than even '11s in my opinion yet they still have a lot of aging potential.

I have been buying heavily on the '13 vintage now. I wasn’t real enthused about a year ago but now I’m really liking many of them.

'12, '14 and '15…TBD, but I’m hopeful for '16. Many winemakers are saying it should be some really interesting wine.

Again, I’ve said this before, the warmer vintages are great for the daily drinkers. For $20 you can buy nearly a dozen VERY well made WV blended bottlings and they’re a fantastic QPR.

I wanted to buy another case of the PGC '13 Berserkers but they are sold out, they still have some '14 and I went for another case. [cheers.gif]