TN: 2007 Biggio Hamina Cellars Syrah Deux Vert

Arrived Friday afternoon and consumed Friday evening. One word review: delicious.

• 2007 Biggio Hamina Cellars Syrah Deux Vert - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (10/28/2016)
    Extremely pale. Aromatics of rock, white pepper and licorice with a gentle floral note. On the palate there’s mild raspberry, white pepper, rocks, earth and subtle green notes. Light-bodied for a Syrah, this is the antithesis of a central coast monster and is an excellent food wine. Tastes like a cool climate Syrah, but drinks like a Pinot. At 12% abv, this wine is the vinous equivalent of a session beer. As the kids might say, the QPR is off the hook. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

My wife and I love it – it’s just as your note describes. We served it to her sister who was visiting from Sonoma and she didn’t finish her glass, which just about says it all.

I’m loving this wine too, and I agree with the Pinot comparison above. I wouldn’t have batted an eye if this had been labeled Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Beaune.

Thanks Gentlemen, I had wanted to get more wine shipped out but have been a little buried. There’s a dozen people I will follow up with and ship this week, plus the other shipments… then on the road to hustle for a few weeks. If I cannot connect this week, it will be December. Thanks again for your patience.

I have a case to pick up. I like the WV Syrahs, but then I am a AFWE OR pinot drinker. [welldone.gif]

Am having the exact same experience with friends and family. People really like it or really don’t like it. It’s the woody allen movies of wine.

What? You need a new SIL? Ship her to Todd for reeducation. [snort.gif] champagne.gif

My SIL may have bad taste in wine but she’s easy on the eyes. I’ll keep her :slight_smile:

Terrific stuff. Cracked my first one of the new batch last night. Aromatics are dynamite. Very pretty. Would be fun in a blind line up. Aged Rhone like but it also kind of reminded me of Barbaresco. If the tannins were more grippy it would be a dead ringer on some fronts. Love the whole cluster elements.

Here is a brief note from a winery visit in 2008:

12/05/2008
This has a good amount of Viognier (8%?). I don’t recall the exact amount. I have only had a couple of WV Syrahs but this was the best I have tried. Should be tasty from the get go. Interesting white fruit element.

Got the Viognier % wrong but who’s counting.

Thanks to Todd for this wonderful deal.

Cheers,

Jason

Thanks for the notes, I think there may be another 10 cases left. I am back after Thanksgiving and can ship more at that time.

Love to hear more about the Deux Vert vineyard. Also I’m going to need a case when you get a chance to ship.

Going to start shipping again. PM me an address and phone number. Thanks.

• 2007 Biggio Hamina Cellars Syrah Deux Vert - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (3/31/2017)
    Medium ruby with a bricking rim. Opened and poured a glass and left on the counter for an hour. A little funk on the nose. Light body and fruit with a metallic flinty mineral note. Rather light acid and tannins, the fruit has a ripe plum in a restrained fashion. There is a good balance, but some open time is beneficial. It becomes better with more open time. This is not your CA or WA Syrah, but bespeaks an OR style and is akin to cool climate versions in the WV, restrained and gets better as the night moves on. (90 pts.)

• 2007 Biggio Hamina Cellars Syrah Deux Vert - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (6/23/2017)
    Medium ruby, some roses and raspberries on the nose. Dry with some light calcareous mineral, savory saline, medium body and fruit, light strawberry and raspberry. Well balanced acid and light integrated tannins. Drinking beautifully now on night two with ten years of age. Just keeps getting better. I think I found the secret to Todd’s wines. Give them ten years. (93 pts.)

Thanks for the check-in Dennis. I blew through half a case very quickly, but it might be time to open another.