TN: 2005 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Suchots

Another open 2005. Really nice.

• 2005 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Suchots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (10/24/2016)
    Wow. Very forward! Lots of dark fruit and impeccable balance with acidity and structure but it is not a wall of tannins. In fact the tannins are quite in check. Very dense. Some barnyard and spice on the nose. Open for business but also lots of room to run.

Posted from CellarTracker

one of my favorite Suchots–behind Arnoux but not by a whole lot. I need more data points, though! Thanks.

I keep hearing that the quality has really gone up recently but I have had very good 96 Suchots and RSV, and a very good 99 Clos Vougeot.

One of the things I like most about H-N wines is the texture, which to me is similar to Fourrier’s - airy yet deep. I have wondered what each domaine’s 2005s are like, having tasted none. “Dense” to me suggests this wine is more about 2005 than about H-N although perhaps if shown with other producers’ 2005s even this bottling would seem true to the H-N style.

A really good wine - although it was only 3rd in our tasting (in early 2008) of Suchots - after Arnoux and Cathiard.
We repeated the exercise with vintage 2006 - and H-N was 4th after Liger-Belair, Cathiard and Arnoux …

When did Charles Van Canneyt start making the wines there? Did he make this one?

My “dense” is probably your “deep”. Just magnified due to the vintage.

It wasn’t the least bit heavy or extracted.

I love this vineyard from Hudelot.
Sounds like a wine I would really enjoy.

Does this mean some of you besides Hank and me are warming to the selective drink-ability of 2005 Burgundy? [cheers.gif]