TN: 2014 Betz Family Bésoleil (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley)

2014 Betz Family Bésoleil - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (10/23/2016)
Popped and poured just a few days after arrival, this was quite delicious, all warm herbs, deep red fruit and a leathery, meaty edge. The palate was was supple and carried the flavors well from front to back. Overall it reminded me very much of the Esdmunds St. John Rocks & Gravel bottling, but it’s 60% more expensive than the ESJ, so not sure it’s worth it.

Posted from CellarTracker

I have not drank many Betz, but the ones I have were not that impressive for the money given all the love they receive. Others love them, so all is good.

Don’t get me wrong. I thought this was quite delicious. It’s just that I can get essentially the same wine for much less if I buy ESJ.

The '12 Betz Parrain is smoking good !

I have not drank many Betz, but the ones I have were nothing like ESJ. May have to give them another try.

None of the other wines I have had from Betz were remotely like this!

Looked up my note on the '10. I seemed to like that one pretty well, just a little more fruit than I now prefer.
3/26/2016 - I LIKE THIS WINE: 92 points (Edit)
Dark purple ruby with red plum, cedar nose. Dry, crisp red fruit, lightly woody tannins, medium to full body and fruit, a bit of astringent acid with the tannins. Old world style, muted but not restrained fruit balanced well with the acid and tannins, a touch of bitter on the finish. 89pts on opening.
After a couple of hours, the rough edges have softened giving bright red berry, raspberry and red currants with well balanced acid and smooth tannins. More on the fruity than austere side and a joy to drink now.