TN: A sort-of farewell gathering of the Chelsea Saturday crowd

Jay Miller organized a sort-of farewell gathering yesterday at Chelsea Wine Storage, which has been the site of some of the most enjoyable wine-sharing experiences for me over the past seven or eight years. (What is it about drinking at 55F?) Many of us will be moving out with the big rate increases next month under the new owners.

It was a good and varied line-up of bottles pulled from people’s lockers.

1996 Roagna – Barolo – La Rocca & La Pira (375ml): This was tough as nails on release and it’s still tough as nails. Not much on the nose and just very hard tannins on the palate. Not so pleasant now. Did I mention that it’s tough as nails? I won’t open my one bottle for a loooong time. I went long on 96s, but this wine is what I’m afraid of. May be great in 15-20 years, but I’m not sure I can wait.

1997 Clos Rougeard – Saumur-Champigny: Nice touch of cab franc green on the nose – just enough to lend interest. There was a trace of that on the palate, too, along with some lovely earthiness and fruit. Very silky at this stage. Really lovely. 90-ish points for me.

2004 Peyre Rose – Clos des Cistes – Coteaux de Languedoc: I didn’t know the Peyre Rose wines. Like the Saumur, a very silky texture, but with the fruit of a warmer clime. Not super complex, but gives a lot of pleasure. 90-ish.

2004 Peyre Rose – Syrah Léone – Coteaux de Languedoc: The only wine served blind, after the other Peyre Rose had been sampled for some time. Some reduction on the nose reinforced someone’s guess of syrah. Some tannin showed at first, but the fruit tamed that with a bit of air. (Unlike most of the wines, this was not decanted.) More depth than the other Peyre Rose, earning it another point-ish from me: 91.

1995 Ch. Montelena – Napa Valley – Montelena Estate – Cabernet Sauvignon: Fairly tight on the nose, but very giving in the mouth. Tannins have largely evolved and are in perfect balance with the fruit. How rare it is to have a Montelena where the tannins aren’t hard! If I’d had this blind, I think I’d have guessed a Napa cab from Mt. Veeder or the southern end of the valley – Oakville, say. None of the ash/darkness of Calistoga. 91.3 points.

1995 Ch. Musar: Others liked this better than me. I got some VA in the nose. In the mouth, this was shot for me – faded, tired fruit and some VA. This was not decanted, but I think it had been open an hour or more when I sampled it and the bottle was half empty.
1986 Ch. Canon – St. Emilion: This bottle, which I bought in 1994, was a hit. Definitely has the vintage’s character: It’s taut still and has tannins. It’s not caressing the way the 82 and 83 are; it’s a bit stern for a St. Emilion of this age. But it’s still really good. 92+ ish. Others might go higher.

2001 Egon Müller – Wiltinger Braunekupp – Auslese: Golden hue. And, whoa, what a wine! This is way, way beyond Auslese level, well into BA territory. Extraordinary concentration, with great acidity and botrytis to offset the sweetness. 94+

1996 Dönnhoff – Oberhauser Brücke – Eiswein: Thick, prune juice color but utterly fresh flavors – no prune. Very, very intense, but with the sugar and acid sustaining each other. Just a tad behind the 01 Egon Müller. 92.8-ish. (Footnote: I usually find Eiswein less interesting than the more botrytised wines, but this was outstanding.)

2009 Egon Müller – Scharzhofberger – Spätlese: Sampled a bit quickly near the end, after the 01 and the 96 Dönnhoff, which really wasn’t fair to this lovely wine. “Very nice indeed,” as Clive Coates might say.

Heard about the rate increase. How bad is it?

Between 50% and at least 200%. There’s a thread on it. The new owners blame it on their new lease, but they are also mandating that you buy liability insurance from them.

It’s the latest wine storage headache for NYC dwellers. First there was the place in Dumbo, Brooklyn that shut with just 30 days notice. Then there was the flooding during Hurricane Sandy, and eventual bankruptcy, of another place along the Hudson that I can’t now remember the name of.

I believe you’re talking about Winecare?

The Chelsea cages went up more than open storage (ours increased more than 3x) but even open storage is more than twice as much as anyone else ($5/case/month).

Not as many people are leaving as I would have expected but there are both some customers who are price insensitive and others who just never read the email about the price increase. The latter turns out to be a much larger group than I might have guessed.

Interesting notes on the Montelena. I’ve never found their wines to be marked by high tannin levels myself. But I have always found them to be beautiful and elegant and wonderful in an old California cab Style.

Cheers!

I haven’t had so many in recent years, but that was my experience when I drank them more often in the 90s, and the last aged Montelena I had, about two years ago, had very dry, coarse tannins. I don’t remember the vintage, but it was ~15 years old, as I recall.

I think I did recall hearing that they had managed the tannins better in the cellar after a certain point.

A couple of photos from yesterday, after most people had left:
P1030200.JPG
P1030199.JPG
P1030198.JPG

And a few more pix for sentimental reasons, from July 2011:
P1000471.JPG
P1000469.JPG
P1000467.JPG
P1000465.JPG

Looks like fun. Sorry for the hassle. How are you moving your wine?

And a few more from January 2015:
P1020487.JPG
P1020486.JPG
P1020485.JPG

Lots of folks I haven’t seen in a while. Hope everyone ends up OK. Can’t blame the folks for raising rates if they can, but it’s still a shame. I should have turned my basement into a storage facility before selling my brownstone!

No thoughts on any of the wines?

Interesting that the Donnhoff had gone dark. I have the '97 and '98. I keep looking at the '97. Might have to open it soon.

This was one of those wines where one element seemed utterly at odds with the others and throws off your expectations. Sometimes it’s the nose and the palate. In this case, it was the color, which seemed to bear no relation to the flavors.

I have run into that with some of the Navarro late harvest wines, but they are normally botrytis bombs.

Several members of the Occupy Chelsea movement met at CWS on Saturday vowing not to leave until rent was lowered or we were done drinking. As a political movement it flopped but we drank some good wine.

2009 Bruno Claire - Marsannay
Quite nice

1996 Roagna – Barolo – La Rocca & La Pira (375ml)
Young and pure. Quite impressive, especially with food. I liked this more than John. Purchased during the distributor close out way back when.

1997 Clos Rougeard – Saumur-Champigny
Best red on the table. Gorgeous nose, silken

2004 Peyre Rose – Clos des Cistes – Coteaux de Languedoc
very nice syrah

2004 Peyre Rose – Syrah Léone – Coteaux de Languedoc
similar, I preferred the first, others the second

1995 Ch. Montelena – Napa Valley – Montelena Estate – Cabernet Sauvignon
Really very nice, just entering its drinking window

1995 Ch. Musar
Quite lovely, less VA than my last bottle

1986 Ch. Canon – St. Emilion
close second for sheer beauty and class of the reds.

2001 Egon Müller – Wiltinger Braune kupp Auslese Auction bottling (375)
I bought 2 bottles of this 14 years ago on Tom Trombley’s recommendation. One of them spontaneously refermented and popped its cork (as the 2001 EM WBK Auction Rieslings were wont to do) but this one survived and was worth the wait. Ethereal.

2009 Egon Müller – Scharzhofberger – Spätlese
quite young, gorgeous but I’d say the Kabinett is drinking much better currently.

1996 Dönnhoff – Oberhauser Brücke – Eiswein (375)
Surprisingly dark color, but rich and complex on the palate

sorry that you are losing your clubhouse.
I have sat at that table a few times over the years and the cool wines and great cured meats from Buon Italia made for a nice way to spend an afternoon.